Darkshade Forum    General Boards    General Discussion  ›  Board Games to play
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

Board Games to play  This thread currently has 1 views. Print Print Thread
2 Pages « 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Diddly
July 7, 2014, 2:52pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
There's a new Legendary game titled "Villains".  It's a standalone game, or can be combined with the heroes version of Legendary.  Since the games are compatible, they're virtually identical in game mechanics.  The big difference is your HQ is full of villains, and you have to defeat Heroes who are moving through the city.

While is can be fun to play as the bad guys (and some of them have rather cool abilities), this co-operative game loses the concept of teamwork.  Yes, you're still after the same goal, but a LOT of the villain powers involve screwing over your "teammates".

Currently Reading:Next in Queue:
When Heavens CollideRed Mars - Kim Stanley Robinson
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 15 - 22
Diddly
June 15, 2015, 1:13am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Memoir '44
2 - 8 Players
I've been curious about this game for a while, but Dice Tower just recently did a review that gave me all the information I needed to add it to my wishlist.  It's a board game depicting various historical battles from World War II, where one player controls Allied forces and the other controls the Axis.  Instead of "divine" commanders with control and knowledge of the entire board, this game uses random cards to limit the types of commands you can give at any particular moment.  This takes it from being a game of chess, to trying to succeed with naturally occurring chaos.
There's also dice rolls, but it's not a battle of "who can roll highest".  It's just the attacking player that rolls, to see what effect the attack had.  It could force the units to retreat, or take them out completely.  Special orders effect the result, as these dice don't have numbers, but pictures of the units, grenades, flags, or stars.  For example, a normal attack on a unit of infantry, every die that shows an infantry or grenade kills a member of that unit.  For every flag shown, the unit must retreat that many hexes to their own side of the board.
Each battle has a history, its own set up, and conditions for victory.  I'm sad it's only a two player game, but I know I'd enjoy kicking Hawkeye's butt (for example).

[update] now that I got it, I see it's for up to 8 players!  Nice!

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 16 - 22
Hawkeye
July 13, 2015, 12:32pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Diddly!

I'm very surprised, pleasantly so, that you'd be interested in this game. You may recall that I asked if you bozos were interested in playing https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/146439/battlelore-second-edition, which is the same mechanics as Memoir'44 (made by the same guy Richard Borg - resistance being futile and all).

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 17 - 22
Diddly
July 13, 2015, 1:33pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Wow that is very similar!  Sorry I don't recall you specifically mentioning Battlelore, but I kind of like the theme of Memoir '44 better for a game that's strictly battle re-enactments anyway.  I feel the historical impact adds weight to a game that's otherwise the same.

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 18 - 22
Diddly
October 26, 2015, 4:59pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Merchants and Marauders
2-4 Players
This is essentially the game I was trying to build with my Pirate decks.  Much better design and now I'm keen on playing it.

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 19 - 22
Diddly
January 2, 2016, 2:52pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Champions of Midgard
2-4 Players
Like Lords of Waterdeep, but instead of wooden cubes you collect dice that represent different warriors (Swordsman, Axeman, Spearman).  Allocate those warriors to different battles and roll them to see who lives and who dies.

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 20 - 22
Diddly
June 12, 2016, 3:47pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Moved the list of owned board games to another thread, just to keep what we have and don't have separate.

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 21 - 22
Diddly
September 11, 2016, 4:16pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Age of War
2-6 Players
Quick dice rolling game of conquest.  Think Yahtzee but you're competing to be first to complete combos.  Very highly rated on Boardgamegeek and Dice Tower

Bang! The Dice Game - Old Saloon
3-8 Players
An expansion for Bang! The Dice Game which is actually 5 independent expansions!  Includes new characters and roles, and even a ghost option for the first player eliminated

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 22 - 22
2 Pages « 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print Print Thread

Darkshade Forum    General Boards    General Discussion  ›  Board Games to play