Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Moana
Forum Login
Login Name: Create a new account
Password:     Forgot password

Darkshade Forum    General Boards    Had I Written...  ›  Moana Moderators: Diddly
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

Moana  This thread currently has 1 views. Print Print Thread
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Diddly
February 12, 2017, 4:50pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Board Moderator
Moana was a decent movie.  I liked the animation, and the fact that it had a female protagonist who could make her own decisions and contributed to the resolution rather than just added problems.  But after watching it, there's a couple elements I would've done differently.  

1) Instead of having her father fearing "going beyond the reef", I'd make it her fear.  Let her venture out there, got tossed like she did, and lose that friggen useless pig friend of hers.  Then it is HER fear she must conquer to save her people, not her fuddy-duddy dad.

2) I'd make "the Ocean" either less or more of a character.  It's Moana's version of Tolkien's eagles.  If the ocean could give the heart to Moana, it could have just as easily given it to the rightful owner.  It could have prevented them from encountering the coconut pirates.  It could have NOT capsized her boat beyond the reef.  etc.  By making it less of a character, it wouldn't know enough to do those things.  It'd just be a force of nature.  By making it more of a character, you could use a mermaid/man or something with fears to explain why it didn't just do the necessary thing itself.  Either way would be an improvement I think.

Attachment: maxresdefault_3997.jpeg
Size: 30.64 KB

Currently Reading:Next in Queue:
When Heavens CollideRed Mars - Kim Stanley Robinson
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message
Hawkeye
February 13, 2017, 1:31pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Good Breakdown.

Yes, making the water her fear is better.

On another note: Mermaid/man?

mermaidman_8988.png

Attachment: mermaidman_8988.png
Size: 11.84 KB

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 1 - 1
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print Print Thread

Darkshade Forum    General Boards    Had I Written...  ›  Moana