Darkshade Forum    General Boards    General Discussion  ›  Canadian Election
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

Canadian Election  This thread currently has 1 views. Print Print Thread
2 Pages « 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Shabadu_SMH
February 15, 2006, 8:36pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Yah I didn't condone it when Belinda Carlisle did it and I don't condone Poncha San Van Condeas doing either.  But my opinion was made clear in my last few posts.. don't go into something if you're not ready to stay the path for your elected duration (or have the decency to bow out and make room for someone who is...)
I've heard the guy talk and he honestly beleive (or so he's convinced the public) that he did what was best for hsi constituents but I still think it is a false premise that he got elected under and therefore is no longer the valid candidate.

Whatever, despite my protestations, I'm not bringing it up anywhere but here so clearly while it bothers me I'm not gonna act on that (except to rue the conservatives (and by conservatives I mean mostly Harper) for being dicks ever so slightly more).
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 15 - 21
Hawkeye
February 16, 2006, 4:34pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
  Ok Ok, Ethically speaking he should have stayed as a liberal.  Fine, you win. But I still don't care.  

Apparently, the Liberal party is looking at filing some kind of parliamentary charges against the guy, saying it was illegal for him to switch while still technically a member of Paul Martin's cabinet.

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 16 - 21
Shabadu_SMH
February 17, 2006, 4:26am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
huh - good for them.  Don't get me wrong I don't like the liberals for much more than they are the only people who can keep Harper in check - if anyone actually can.
But ethics SHOULD be important in politics, especially Canadian politics.. I'm not that naive to expect ethics WILL be there, but they really should at least try to make it LOOK like they are ethical.  Then again maybe I expect far too much from my elected representatives.. whose salaries are paid by my (and our) hard earned dollars!
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 17 - 21
Hawkeye
February 23, 2006, 9:35pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
     Yeah I agree, this switching after the election does little to improve the general public's view of political ethics.  And I thought that Harper ran on accountability.

Interesting how Paul Martin has dropped off the face of the earth with regard to the liberals.

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 18 - 21
Shabadu_SMH
February 26, 2006, 12:07am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Yah the best thing the Liberals could do was drop him out.. despite him trying to take the correct path and fix the Liberal's reputation, the other candidates threw him to the wolves and he torn to shreds by the public during the process..
The funny thing (or so I think) is that the Conservatives had a bonus in their pocket because with Martin in charge, there was a fairly right-leaning person heading up the Liberal party.  Things could switch by next election and they could have someone who is less areeing with many of their conservative views...
But whatever, I'm glad Martin is gone, he was always one more reason to note vote Liberal for me...
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 19 - 21
Chiquita
October 27, 2006, 4:17am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Knight
For all the conservative banter about the corruption of the liberals in power, they have certainly not wasted anytime in semi legal maneuvering.  From defecting parties members, dwindling press access, questional senate appointments to slow removal of womens rights, the conservatives have proven that the party is only capable of taking Canada back into the dark ages of the 1900s.

Unfortunately, looking for great (I''ll admit I would settle for good) leadership amongst the major parties is a sorry sight...Stephen Harper is a Bush a-s-s wipe, Paul Martin proved he was mindless drone pm (Hurray!! he is gone...but look what we get instead: Michael Ignateiff, a bush conservative masking as a liberal and other unimpressive candidates that blur together in their sameness..perhaps there is a faint hope with Bob Rae), Jack Layton is a timid municipal fish drowning in the chaos of federal politics who has been unable to even assert he wants a donut, Elizabeth May seems to be a conservative not eco housewife... who has sniffed lemon easy off one time too many, and Gilles Duceppes with separatist blood coursing through his veins.

Out of all the current leaders I feel that if Gilles Duceppe would be Canada's best hope of charismatic and conscious leadership.   His stage presence is engaging, his socio and econo ideas innovative, yet I question whether or not his past communist ideology would allow him to be bought out by the mere chance of quebec's freedom.

I'm glad to see the opposition parties are finally developing the balls to push back against the conservative nonesense and fluff.  Perhaps, a good leader will emerge yet before the next election is called.
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 20 - 21
Hawkeye
March 14, 2007, 8:50pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
How do you think the quebec election will affect federal politics?

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 21 - 21
2 Pages « 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print Print Thread

Darkshade Forum    General Boards    General Discussion  ›  Canadian Election