Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Alternative Energy for Homes
Forum Login
Login Name: Create a new account
Password:     Forgot password

Darkshade Forum    General Boards    General Discussion  ›  Alternative Energy for Homes
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

Alternative Energy for Homes  This thread currently has 1 views. Print Print Thread
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Hawkeye
April 17, 2006, 1:17pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
I know I've talked to you Trarman before about this, but I thought this would be so cool if my house were arranged with the following:

Geothermal energy for home heating and cooling and water heating... run by electricity:

http://www.lifetimeenergy.ca/Home.php

Coupled with Solar Power so you need not rely on external electricity:

http://www.inovativeenergy.ca

The cost for being totally self sufficient for electricity is about $26,000 + tax, but any you produce which you don't use could be sold back to Ontario Hydro.. that is cool.

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message
Trarman
April 17, 2006, 4:09pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator
Guest User
We managed to pick up some info about geothermal heating at the Homeshow last weekend.

Also, the link is http://www.innovativeenergy.ca

(You misspelled innovative)

E-mail E-mail Reply: 1 - 12
Shabadu_SMH
April 18, 2006, 1:44pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
You two should read "State of Fear" by Michael Criton.  He is a pretty good author (Jurassic Park I & II were WAAAY better in novel form than any of the three movies).  But regardless, it has some interesting persepctives on global warming and the various myths surrounding the so-called energy crisis.

Now I know the instant I say something is good and the two of you would like it, both your backs go up in the air and you automatically dislike it but consdier this, you've BOTH become Floyd fans, as I predicted would happen   (Okay okay so gloating is no way to win you over, but I never said I was smrt!) <-- yes I spelled it the Homer Simpson way on purpose.

Anyhow, read the book if you get a chance, I really do think you would enjoy it.  Both of you.  IT ain't a long or a difficult read but all the scientific references include actual REAL online references just to prove he isn't making up the story entirely and it is based on the real-life disappearnace of some uber-rich environmentalist crack-pot!
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 2 - 12
Hawkeye
April 18, 2006, 3:04pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
While I realize the prices for oil and gas are inflated from what they should be, there are those that beleive we will soon reach, if not already, maximum capacity.  As for global warming the average temperature in the atlantic is increasing.  We are still pumping out huge amounts of pollution.  

Even IF the environmental issues and energy crisis are blown out of proportion the amount of pollution is affecting our health.  That reason, if for no other, we should be looking at alternative renewable energy resources.  I do not believe global warming and the energy crisis are myths.

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 3 - 12
Shabadu_SMH
April 18, 2006, 3:40pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Read the book is all I can say.  I don't disagree with you but the facts presented in this book (which are all (supposedly) substantiated if you care to research them.. I took it with a grain of salt of course being the skeptic that I am..).

Regradless, the book isn't saying don't be energy-conscious and smart, it is merely saying that the giant montrosity backing the whole global warming myth is misleading the public.  More I won't say in case you do chose to read the book because it is a decent read (no I'm not getting any money from the author for pushing his words on others

See at this point in time Hawkeye, you HAVE to be concerned with the future whereas for me I just gotta conserve enough to last my life time.. which let's face some basic truths, someone is bound to get pissed off at me and end my existance before I'm 60 (if I'm being generous)... so I don't care if the ocean IS heating up 1 degree every 20 years or not.. there is enough fish in the sea to feed me til I'm old, fat and bald!

(Kidding Hawky, relax...)
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 4 - 12
Hawkeye
April 20, 2006, 12:19pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
I figured you were kidding.  I read in a book called Secrets and Lies etc... or something to that effect that car fuel efficiency actually peeked in 1984!  How's that for a kick in the a**!

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 5 - 12
Shabadu_SMH
April 20, 2006, 3:06pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Not surprising really.. well actually it IS surprising that anything GOOD came from the 80's other than a sense that "flock of seaguls" hair was NOT a good idea.
But it is not surprising if the auto and the fossil fuel industries has held some giant secret back like that!
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 6 - 12
Hawkeye
April 21, 2006, 3:28pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
I wouldn't mind the doubling of the price of gas, if the fuel efficiency of cars doubled too.

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 7 - 12
Shabadu_SMH
April 23, 2006, 2:19pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
I suppose, I'd rather gas prices halved and fuel efficiency doubled though.
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 8 - 12
Hawkeye
April 24, 2006, 12:14pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
The only way gas prices would drop is if demand for it dropped substantially.  Like if an alternative fuel were created/discovered.

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 9 - 12
Shabadu_SMH
April 25, 2006, 2:34am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Like electric cars?  Bout time they freakin came out as a serious competitor.. bout time but not likely to replace sadly.. we are too dependant.. sigh.
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 10 - 12
Hawkeye
April 25, 2006, 5:01pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Electric is one thing, hydrogen fuel another.  Apparently, according to Gimper, Brazil has converted to ethanol from sugar cane!  If there is a fossil fuel crunch they won't be hit as hard as us.

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 11 - 12
Shabadu_SMH
April 27, 2006, 3:11pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
I'm sure the first world countries will find a way to exploit the lesser developed countries to their (the first world countries) benefit.
Money talks and there is always someone willing to sell out themselves and their country.
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 12 - 12
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print Print Thread

Darkshade Forum    General Boards    General Discussion  ›  Alternative Energy for Homes