Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

Stardust  This thread currently has 1 views. Print Print Thread
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Shabadu_SMH
August 11, 2007, 3:25pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
I went to see Stardust last night.

Let me start by stating that the review I read in the paper claimed it was "The Princess Bride of the modern day"... to which my first thought was "what?"  I read the graphic novel and there was little in common with The Princess Bride, either the movie with Fred Savage or the orogonal book.

Having read the Stardust graphic novel before seeing the movie (thanks Chiquitta), I naturally had expectations and right from the beginning the director (or script writer) went in a number of different directions.. most of them merely small differences but there were simply soooo many that I was curious how the story would ever get back on track.  So if you HAVE read the book, expect something VERY different - there are similarly named characters following generally similiar paths to accomplish the same overall goal, but many of the finer details are somehow changed.  While the graphic novel was (in my opinion) pretty darn close to a classic Grim's fairy tale, complete with horrendous violence and tragedies, the movie glosses over or simply removes many of those scenarios for the happier Hollywood moments.

I found the movie itself was a little slow in capturing my interest but somewhere throughout the director managed to draw me in with the story and some very likable characters (I'm still not sure what to think of Deniro's Captain Shakespeare, but I'll leave you to judge that one).  

By the end of the movie, I was quite happy to have watched it and while I could still point of the glaring differences between he book and the movie, I appreciate both of them (for the record, as is almost ALWAYS the case, I did enjoy the book more).  Overall I'd say if you enjoy a good fairy tale, Stardust is for you.  Keep in mind they have Hollywoodized the graphic novel and I guess it is meant for kids (I still question that since there is a sex scene even before the title pops up on the screen!).  
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message
Hawkeye
September 14, 2007, 12:47pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
You know, I never saw any advertising for this movie... usually that's not a good sign for boxoffice numbers.

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 1 - 1
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print Print Thread

Darkshade Forum    General Boards    Reviews  ›  Stardust