No Members and 1 Guests

Oblivion  This thread currently has 1 views. Print Print Thread
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Diddly
September 19, 2007, 8:23pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Oblivion for the PS3

The Goods:
The world is lush with trees, plants, animals.  It's probably the best looking free-roaming environment I've played in.  Yeah, it could be better, but it's cool enough to sometimes just stop and look at the landscapes.
I didn't think I would enjoy a first-person RPG, but I really do.  The stories are fairly well put together, and as much of the overall plot as I've been exposed to is engaging.
As with any game of this type, I really appreciate a non-linear style.  I don't want to be led around by the ear.  I like being able to explore and play in the areas that interest me.
Character development is AMAZINGLY deep.  Aside from a very detailed appearance editor, you end up defining multiple aspects of your character throughout the game, including: Race, Class (many choices and even custom make your own!), birth sign, skills, abilities, schools of training, etc.  And every choice has impact on your character's development.  Pretty slick.
Another interesting thing is the more you use specific skills in the game, the more it can effect your stats.  So if you spend a lot of time bartering, your speechcraft skill will likely go up faster than someone who just swings a sword a lot, so you end up with characters good in the things you do, and not as good in the things you don't.  Makes for some interesting gameplay styles.
The Bads:
Although the voice acting is acceptable, I kind of wish there were more than half a dozen voices in the game.  Some of the characters even change voice depending on what they're saying (eg. I was talking to a beggar who had a shakey old man voice, then he uttered a phrase common to many characters in the game and he sounded like a strong castle guard!)
The Uglies:
Near the beginning of play (first dozen quests or so) we've experienced the occasional lock-up.  That's just not right.  Haven't had it for a while, but when I did, something about what I was doing consistently locked the game up and I had to reboot.  Also, sometimes, a mission has a bug such that you can't do what you're expected to do (and this isn't my gaming incompetence showing..  I can usually have my character open a door that's supposed to be unlocked).  This isn't a new game, it's been on the PC and XBox 360 for a year before it came out on PS3.  Mission type bugs should've been worked out long ago.

Overall:
Highly immersive RPG with interesting story lines and wide variation in character development.  Be careful, or this virtual life may replace your own!  

Currently Reading:Next in Queue:
When Heavens CollideRed Mars - Kim Stanley Robinson
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message
Hawkeye
September 20, 2007, 2:27pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
I found there was a distinct difference in the sound quality going from Stewart's king and any other character.. though to be fair this would only be an issue until the king died... I wish it could have been by Ah' Nod's hand though...

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 1 - 1
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print Print Thread

Darkshade Forum    General Boards    Reviews  ›  Oblivion