Darkshade Forum    General Boards    Reviews  ›  Elixir
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

Elixir  This thread currently has 1 views. Print Print Thread
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Danmick
September 23, 2007, 11:17pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Knight
Shabadu and I went with another buddy to Elixir Restaurant in Cambridge ("Nouvelle Italian Cuisine"), and I personally thought it was excellent.  

We started with escargots, calamari, and two of us had salads.  I expected a serving of a half dozen escargots, in a butter sauce, but there was actually a decent serving to split between 3 people, and it was in what I thought was a roasted pepper type pesto.  The calamari was excellent, also in an interesting sauce.  The goat cheese salad could have probably fed two people, and it was delicious, with large chunks of goat cheese, and a tasty vinaigrette.  

I had the Angus tenderloin, with a fantastic wine reduction sauce served with mashed potatoes and asparagus.  Shabs had duck legs served with a (white?) bean dish on the side, and our other friend had the chicken tetrazini, if I remember correctly (it was a pasta dish with chicken and a rose sauce anyway)  I loved my meal, I beleive Shabs said he liked his, but would get something different next time, and our other friend was impressed with his meal as well.

The bill came to about $170, which included the 2 (bigger than expected) appetizers, 2 (bigger than expected) salads, 3 entrees, 3 beers and one liter of the house wine.  The waitress must have liked us, because she even threw in 2 desserts for us to share when she brought our bill.  All said, it was a thoroughly enjoyable experience, and I'll be going back.
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message
Diddly
September 24, 2007, 5:53pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
For those interested (as I am), here's where the restaurant is located:
http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=3.....;iwloc=addr&om=1

Currently Reading:Next in Queue:
When Heavens CollideRed Mars - Kim Stanley Robinson
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 1 - 7
Danmick
November 14, 2007, 4:44am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Knight
I've been to Elixir twice since I first started this thread.  Last time, I asked about the Rack of Lamb that I saw on the menu the first time (as it was no longer on the menu) and the waitress said that they removed it becuse it wasn't very popular, even though it was very good (it was one of the most expensive items on the menu).  I said I was disappointed because I was looking forward to trying it, and she told me that if I gave them 24 hours notice, they would be glad to get some fresh and prepare it for my next visit.  They also gave Shabadu and I free salads as thanks for moving away from a table near one of the speakers.  Apparently, they were afraid we wouldn't enjoy our dinner as much from that table (the truth is that we were waiting for a friend and thought we'd be more visible closer to the door, and also the original table was closer to the kitchen and bathrooms, but whatever).

This evening, I went again with my sister and cousin.  I forgot to call ahead for the rack of lamb, so I had the lamb shank instead, and thoroughly enjoyed it.  My sister had the chicken curry, and said that it was very much like butter chicken (which she loves), and the best butter chicken she's ever had at that.  My cousin had the tiger shrimp (which comes in a sauce very similar to the curry sauce for the chicken, but milder).  She also had a salad to start, and she couldn't believe how fresh it was (in fact, I could smell the freshness of it from where I was sitting, adjacent to her... I tried it, and it was excellent, but I can't remember which salad it was).  She was so impressed that she's going to try to set up her staff Christmas party there (she's an elementary school teacher).  All three entrees were under $20.  We also tried their chocolate truffle for desert, and... wow.

In case anybody isn't sure, I think this place is fantastic, and it's exactly the kind of small local restaurant that we should be supporting; they use the best fresh ingredients, and offer them at very reasonable prices.
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 2 - 7
Chiquita
November 23, 2007, 11:39pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Knight
so when are we going ?
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 3 - 7
Danmick
November 24, 2007, 8:34am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Knight
I'm always up for it, you guys let me know!
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 4 - 7
Diddly
December 10, 2007, 7:29pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Well, now that we've all been there, I can say I agree with danmick.  This place is a hidden gem.  I had the pork tenderloin, which was nice and tender, and the sauce was delicious!  I'll be trying the beef dish next time to see what that's like.

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 5 - 7
Danmick
January 17, 2008, 5:21pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Knight
Ok, so last week I went to Elixir again with Diddly and Chiquita, and I think I may have a new favourite dish.  I often avoid fish in restaurants (particularly non-seafood restaurants) because I'm always afraid I'll come away wishing I'd ordered something else.  I have to say though, the sea bass was awesome.  A bit pricey (at $36 I think it's the most expensive entree on the menu), but I thought it was worth every penny!  And once again, we got a freeby - Bruschetta.
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 6 - 7
Diddly
January 17, 2008, 5:31pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
I think the hostess likes you, man.  Her expression was welcoming when we walked in, but when you come through the door she positively lit up.

But back to the review, this time I had the beef tenderloin, and the sauce was delicious.  It perfectly suited the beef, mashed potatoes, and vegetables perfectly to tie it all together.  As before, I had the chocolate truffle for desert.  Amazingly good.

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 7 - 7
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print Print Thread

Darkshade Forum    General Boards    Reviews  ›  Elixir