Darkshade Forum    General Boards    General Discussion  ›  Ancient Scourge
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

Ancient Scourge  This thread currently has 1 views. Print Print Thread
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Chiquita
February 10, 2008, 1:15am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Knight
TVo had a great special on Box Jellyfish. It turns out they actually have four eyes which are more advance than human's and can actually hunt their prey. Jellies venom is considered one of the most toxic in the world as it combines three different types of toxins: a cardiotoxin to stop muscle movement and heart beat, a neurotoxin than induces instantaneous extreme pain, and a "blood" venom which causes your red blood cells to explode on contact (hence the scarring). Enzymes release with the venom actually dissolve the prey..bones and all, so that the jellies can eat its micronutrients. Scientist have failed to develop an anti-venom to the sting due to its complexity. However, some fish species and turtles have actually developed an immunity to Jellies.

Some six varieties jellies are practically invisible as they weigh less than one ounce and are about one cm wide. They are as lethal as the larger jellies. Irukandji Syndrome is the deadly disease caused by these tiny jellies and is now found from Australia to the Florida keys to Great Britain.

Others called Nemuras or Giant Jellies are about 12 ft in circumference and about 450 pounds. The Giant Jellies are now considered to be more than 3x times the human population of earth. They used to appear once every 40 yrs around Japan but now are appearing almost continuously and scientists are not sure why the changes are happening(GW? or Pollution such as fertilizers or sewage b/c they thrive in low oxygen environments). Jellies population is adversely affecting the commerical fishing industry in Japan. Japan attempts to slaughter Giant jellies has backfired as death is the ultimate aphrodisiac, when the Giant Jellies dies he/she releases millions of eggs and sperms into the water, to be fertilized in the water then drop to the bottom. The Jellies on the bottom of the ocean go thru a sedentary stage where can asexually reproduce on the bottom for years then release new "free" or "bloomed" jellies into the oceans when triggered by environmental factors.

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message
Hawkeye
February 11, 2008, 1:42pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Wish I had the ablity to give a neurotoxin that causes extreme pain to clients who ask stupid questions.  (I consider a question stupid if I have answered it already three times in the same conversation.)

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 1 - 6
Chiquita
February 11, 2008, 3:29pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Knight
I think you need a round of CD4 or RB!!!!
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 2 - 6
Diddly
February 11, 2008, 7:44pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Here are two pictures of Box Jellyfish.  In the first one you can clearly see its eyes.  The jellyfish in the second image is 6ft wide, 450lb!

Attachment: 070402102819_557.jpg
Size: 16.59 KB

Attachment: giant_jellyfish_6686.jpg
Size: 24.52 KB

Currently Reading:Next in Queue:
When Heavens CollideRed Mars - Kim Stanley Robinson
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 3 - 6
Hawkeye
February 11, 2008, 7:53pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
The first one looks like some kind of alien and the second one looks like an eye ball just ripped from the socket... how old do these things get?

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 4 - 6
Chiquita
February 11, 2008, 8:06pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Knight
Oh, I forgot to mention in my original post that scientist discovered that jellies dislike the colour red and will avoid it. Just something to keep in mind when you rent a wetsuit!

I think the jellies themselves are really cool looking creatures...
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 5 - 6
Hawkeye
February 12, 2008, 1:41pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Or just get really sunburnt and that would save you from the jellyfish however... sunburns and salt water....

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 6 - 6
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print Print Thread

Darkshade Forum    General Boards    General Discussion  ›  Ancient Scourge