Darkshade Forum    General Boards    Reviews  ›  10,000 BC
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

10,000 BC  This thread currently has 1 views. Print Print Thread
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Chiquita
March 9, 2008, 1:27pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Knight
10,000 BC was ..................................

PAINFUL - PAINFUL -  PAINFUL

1) CGI is bad and lacks realism (seen better on Saturday morning cartoons)
2) The writing and acting are as flat as paintings on a cave wall (well actually the cave wall art is better)
3)The use of pseudo-primitive phrases like “the time of the white rain” to describe winter. Why wouldn’t a people living in a cold climate have a word for “snow?”
4) Plot? I think they forgot it. Oh, yeah-they forgot character development too..
5) I didn’t know they had Maybelline periwinkle blue eyeliner in the Mesolithic Period?
6) hyercompression of time: discovery of agriculture is bring a bag of seeds home, meet of foreign language for the first time and lucky you is a guys always there that can translate!!!

The only thing going for this movie is the landscapes(shot by Ueli Steiger) and costume design (Odile Dicks-Mireaux and Renée April). The picture was filmed on location in New Zealand, South Africa and Namibia.

I recommend instead watching the brilliant caveman Geico Ads or renting Jean-Jacques Annaud’s Quest for Fire, Caveman (1981)[Ringo Starr and Dennis Quaid play two bumbling Paleolithic pals living in the year "1 zillion B.C] or One Million Years BC (1966) [at least there were Raquel Welsh in leather/fur bikinis]. Although not the best movies around would be probably a more enjoyable use of ones time
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message
Diddly
March 10, 2008, 3:44am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
I'm always amazed that people can successfully pitch a movie company to spend BIG money on such a waste of film!

I heard it was bad, but wow... that sounds like 2 hours better spent reading the dictionary.

Currently Reading:Next in Queue:
When Heavens CollideRed Mars - Kim Stanley Robinson
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 1 - 3
Shabadu_SMH
March 10, 2008, 3:54pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Yah I read bad reviews as well... it doesn't really surprise me though.. I mean the concept here is a pretty good story.. taking out the disbeleivable bits such as factual historic timelines etc there is great potential in the storyline.  Movies can be unbeleivable and still be terrific.  The key is making a story worth watching that makes people skim over the fact that there is something unbelievable going on...
And let's face it, a movie pitch is usually 15-30 minutes long, and I'm sure in the amount of time it took them to describe what an awesome job they INTENDED to do with the graphics, the story wound up being condensed into 10 minutes.. where it focused on all the main plot points and sounded pretty good (like the inteneded SFX sounded!)...
So I have no problems imaginging how they got some studio to sign off on this movie.. they just wound up focusing the wrong efforts in the wrong places... I think it is pretty common... now you think the studios would be a little smarter about throwing money away, but movies rake in enough moolah to allow them to get away with this.. that's the saddest part!
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 2 - 3
Diddly
March 10, 2008, 5:42pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Every year they make record profits, yet they go on and on about how much the evil pirates are costing them billions of dollars.  The flaw in their argument is that they assume everyone who watches a downloaded movie would've gone to the theatre to see it.  With the crap like this getting pushed out there, more and more people don't want to take the chance that they wasted almost $40 (Two people at $13 per ticket plus a pair of munchy combos).

Currently Reading:Next in Queue:
When Heavens CollideRed Mars - Kim Stanley Robinson
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 3 - 3
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print Print Thread

Darkshade Forum    General Boards    Reviews  ›  10,000 BC