Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Workplace Aggression verus S.H. comments
Forum Login
Login Name: Create a new account
Password:     Forgot password

Darkshade Forum    General Boards    General Discussion  ›  Workplace Aggression verus S.H. comments
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

Workplace Aggression verus S.H. comments  This thread currently has 1 views. Print Print Thread
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Chiquita
March 11, 2008, 1:52pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Knight
yeah, not too impressed by that article...so well referenced that one could easily find it and check out the actual study results [sarcasm]....s.h. is a form of bullying so what have they really proved? Again, that issues affecting women are trivialized.
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message
Diddly
March 11, 2008, 3:06pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Hmmm..  interesting.  I figured you of all people would have supported the study, given your prior place of employment.

The linked source was Yahoo, which is never really much more than tabloid quality, but a quick googling brings up this article: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/6/story.cfm?c_id=6&objectid=10497419 which says that the findings were presented at a psychology conference.
The author has been focused on workplace psychology, and has been published in The Journal for Applied Psychology:
http://myuminfo.umanitoba.ca/i.....;eve=8&npa=11905
(here's a sample abstract: http://content.apa.org/journals/apl/92/1/228)

It would be interesting to know exactly what was said, maybe a transcript from the conference, as the media tends to exaggerate details they think will attract an audience.

Currently Reading:Next in Queue:
When Heavens CollideRed Mars - Kim Stanley Robinson
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 1 - 7
Danmick
March 11, 2008, 5:03pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Knight
I actually agree that bullying can be an issue.  My former boss had some kind of problem with me, and it wasn't really warranted (I think it was because he also did his apprenticeship there, and I scored consistently higher in school than he did).  He readily admitted that he enjoyed bullying people (his words to me were actually "I enjoy my job because it lets me f**k people around").

We have a Human Rights committee, and when they were established, they made it very clear that there are certain things that fall under the heading of workplace harrassment.  The type of bullying and belittling that my boss did never fell under any of those categories, so I was never able to get anyone to do anything about it.  At least if he had violated my human rights, there would be somthing I could do about it.  After six years, we finally proved to the company that he was falsifying company records, and they fired him, but I still had to put up with him for six years.

So I'm not trivializing the nastiness of sexual harrassment Chiquita, but at least if that had been my problem, something would have been done about it long before the six years that it took us to get dirt on this guy.  I should also mention that sexual harrassment isn't exclusively a women's issue, but "machoism" or whatever may make it less likely to be reported.
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 2 - 7
Chiquita
March 11, 2008, 11:29pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Knight
Quoted from Diddly
Hmmm..  interesting.  I figured you of all people would have supported the study, given your prior place of workplace..

I don't really understand your comment...
I would support that sexual harassment is less hard to get over than bullying?
I fear you missed my point.
Sexual harassment is bullying; and by saying sexual aggression towards an individual is less damaging than other aggressions...seems like a lot of bull

I, very briefly looked at the abstract. It is a meta-analysis which means they just pulled information from other studies (good or bad in protocol, information collected etc.) This unfortunately means that the other studies focus may not have been comparing bullying/sexual harassment.

From my personal work experience, no boss ever wants to hear about bullying or sexual harassment and makes the person (who reports it) feel like a nuisance/incompetent at dealing with social situations. All jobs seem like "suck it up".

It is refreshing to see that anti-aggression laws are in the works.

Danmick, I'm sorry to hear you had such a crappy former boss.

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 3 - 7
Diddly
March 12, 2008, 1:08am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
I was not trying to trivialize sexual aggression.  But if you want to boil it down, I am inclined to think that being repeatedly told "You're a stupid idiot.  I can't believe we pay you to be such a screw up." can be more psychologically damaging than "Your a** looks great in those pants." especially if the first statement can't be protested.

Neither comment is acceptable in the work-place.  However, if you went to your boss's boss and said your supervisor was making sexual remarks about you, s/he would have to take action because it's the law.  The company is liable.  
http://www.ohrc.on.ca/en/resou.....ntsENG-Contents.html

Now, if you went to your boss's boss and said your supervisor was saying you were a worthless idiot, you'd likely get placated with suggestions that perhaps you misunderstood, or that the issue would be taken up with your supervisor.  Unfortunately, now your boss's boss is wondering if your supervisor might have been correct and just chose their words poorly.  Suddenly, because of your jerk of a boss, you carry the stigma of uselessness.  And a whiner to boot.

It's true that no boss wants to hear about sexual harassment or bullying.  But they have to do something about the first problem.  The second one, not so much.  That is why the second one can have a greater impact.  If both were dealt with in equivalently appropriate manners, then I could see sexual aggression having a more lasting impact.

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 4 - 7
Chiquita
March 23, 2008, 3:03pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Knight
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 5 - 7
Diddly
March 23, 2008, 4:45pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Perhaps your argument would be better served if, rather than making a judgment about how my reality somehow doesn't line up with the real world, you'd explain how your links refute my statements.  Scanning through them, I saw nothing there that suggested management could ignore sexual harassment.  Management can pretty much ignore degrading comments that have nothing to do with race or gender.  They'd be bad managers, but they could get away with it.

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 6 - 7
Chiquita
March 23, 2008, 8:37pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Knight
I was not discussing your personal reality, but the reality between men and women. I posted the links as an avenue for greater understanding of how women/men are affected by sexual harassment. I found your post of March 11 deeply saddening.  

In my opinion, "Bullying" and sexual harassment are the same and have equal impact.  Both make it impossible for people to focus on their work and undermine performance; both hinder morale; both hinder chances at advancement; both fear and get negative repercussions for reporting it.both are about power and control, and saying the other person is worthless as a human being

In response to your whole managers cannot ignore sexual harassment but can "bullying": there are laws against rape, illegal drug use, they are still done and rarely punished, there are laws against murder, it still happens; there are laws against jay-walking...one can find a half dozen a day...doesn't mean they are enforce or cared to be enforced.

If it considered the norm to sexually coerce individuals at work by making comments about their appearance (just like the b**** at your office did about your clothes), inappropriate discussions or comments sexual behavior or activities, slapping the a** and other touching, who would stop it or bother?? The coerce individual has just have no sense of humour and a whiner to boot!

Canadian statistics for women being sexually harassed in the work place ranges from 60-90% over her work life. I couldn't find a male stat. If it is so common and enforced readily happening, why can't come up with an incident of punishment other than hearing it was a "misunderstanding". Stats Can own statistics were criticized as their sexual harassment questions on their survey did not consider sexual harassment to include touching, catcalls, whistling. leering, or blowing kisses by a male. Only 4 of every 10 Canadian women who suffer sexual harassment at work take any formal action. Again, no male stat to be found.

related reading
http://www.reenasommerassociates.mb.ca/a_new.html
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m2294/is_n11-12_v32/ai_17613153
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 7 - 7
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print Print Thread

Darkshade Forum    General Boards    General Discussion  ›  Workplace Aggression verus S.H. comments