Darkshade Forum    General Boards    Reviews  ›  Transformers
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

Transformers  This thread currently has 1 views. Print Print Thread
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Hawkeye
May 20, 2008, 1:19pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Chubbs and I watched Transformers the other night.  The build up was incredibly long.  And you're half way into the movie before you actually see the autobots.  The plot seemed weak.. searching for a cube that's the size of building, which has the spark of life.  The acting by the male lead was good and humourous, but having Optimus Prime say 'My Bad' when he ruined a flowerbed is lame.  The CGI was neat but the transforming seemed really long and involved.  While the transformer is transforming there's five minutes worth of an easy kill shot.

I liked the opening attack by the Decepticon.  The weapon effects were cool.  

Some questions though:

Why give Megatron teeth?

At the end they dropped the evil robots in the deepest trench in the ocean claiming the sub zero temperatures would freeze them.  Why not shoot them into space?

What happened to Starscream?  I smell the undeniable reek of sequel.

Overall I'm glad I didn't watch it in the theatre.  My suspicions were correct in that this would not be a good movie.  I'd give it a 6 out of 10.

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message
Diddly
May 20, 2008, 3:14pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
I think they were trying to impress us with the size of the robots, that's why so much of the combat was only partially in frame (ie, you'd see a leg here, an arm crashing into torso, etc).  That effect would have been lost on the smaller screen.

However, it seems the transformation process can be as fast or slow as the robot wants to go.  In combat, they changed pretty darned fast.  But if they were just transforming for effect they were slow enough to show every little step.

SPOILER ALERT:

But I too was somewhat disappointed with the Transformers movie when I saw it in the theatre.  I never understood the whole final battle.  Why give the cube to the boy, the only person around NOT trained in combat?  Why tell him to run it up to a rooftop for a helicopter to pick him up, when there are friggen Decepticon Jets flying around?  A helicopter is dead meat!  Hey, lets draw more attention by firing smoke flares!  Why does the cube melt Megatron's chest?  How the heck do any of them handle this thing without frying?

Yes, a sequel is pretty much guaranteed.

Currently Reading:Next in Queue:
When Heavens CollideRed Mars - Kim Stanley Robinson
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 1 - 2
Shabadu_SMH
May 21, 2008, 10:55am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Actually two sequels are guaranteed.  The agreement was signed before filming of the first one began and the success of the first movie guaranteed that no matter how bad any sequels might be that the trilogy will be produced...

Speaking of sequels, the Hobbit (technically the prequel) has been signed, sealed and well not delivered but agreed upon at least.  Gandalf is returning (Sir Ian McKellen) and Gollum (Andy Serkis) but no other actors have been announced (to my knowledge)... but the great news (in my opinion is the director will be Guillermo del Toro.. he's the guy who directed Pan's Labrynth, Hellboy and some of the Blade movies (not the 3rd).  Peter Jackson is signed on to produce I believe.. he will be heavily involved but Guillermo will be holding the reigns!  For those who don't know they are taking time with this movie and it will be released in 2 parts!
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 2 - 2
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print Print Thread

Darkshade Forum    General Boards    Reviews  ›  Transformers