Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Is this an appropriate article?
Forum Login
Login Name: Create a new account
Password:     Forgot password

Darkshade Forum    General Boards    General Discussion  ›  Is this an appropriate article?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

Is this an appropriate article?  This thread currently has 1 views. Print Print Thread
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Diddly
August 4, 2008, 3:29pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Is this an appropriate news article for Yahoo to be posting?  I was checking my email and as I logged out this was one of the latest 5 stories.  "How to Avoid a Speeding Ticket" http://ca.autos.yahoo.com/p/705/how-to-avoid-a-speeding-ticket

I thought it's pretty simple:  Don't Speed.  Instead, there's a list of ways to "acceptably speed" and hopefully get away with it.

Read the article, and let me know what you think.

Currently Reading:Next in Queue:
When Heavens CollideRed Mars - Kim Stanley Robinson
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message
Danmick
August 4, 2008, 8:45pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Knight
As someone who sometimes regards speed limits as reasonable suggestions (not to be totally disregarded, but more as an approximation of the speed at which any competent driver should be able to maintain safe control of their vehicle) I actually agree with the article.  The main point the author seems to be trying to make is "use common sense, and don't be an idiot".

I think he sums up well at the end of the article:

"If you spend enough time driving a vehicle, a speeding ticket is probably in your future.  Drive smart and be respectful of local authorities as they are simply trying to provide a safe environment in which to drive. Not speeding is the still the best way to avoid a costly ticket and above all, drive safe!"

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 1 - 5
Hawkeye
September 2, 2008, 6:08pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Would you have a problem with someone flashing their lights at you, warning of a speed trap?  No, you'd probably thank them.  Same thing with this article.  But speeding at 10 over is not really the same as 50 over... most people drive at the 10 over mark and usually don't get caught... at least that's what I've found.

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 2 - 5
Hawkeye
September 22, 2008, 3:10pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
This site takes the above conversation to a whole new level...

http://www.trapster.com/

This company warns you of speed traps on your gps!

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 3 - 5
Diddly
September 22, 2008, 6:07pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
I don't have a problem with people flashing their lights at you to warn of radar, since they're just motorists on the road.  I *do* have a problem with any news resource telling you how to get away with speeding.  How is that any different than a how-to guide to get away with stealing candy bars from the corner store?  

Just because "everybody does it" doesn't make it okay.  And only speeding a little bit, "I was only doing 10 over!", is like saying "I only took a bite!" of the aforementioned chocolate bar.  It's still breaking a law.  Yes, the odds of getting caught can be lessened if you follow a certain conduct, I'm not debating that.  I just don't think a responsible news outlet should be giving tips like that.

Sure, it's not TELLING you to speed.  But watch how fast an article with tips for successful terrorism gets pulled.  If it wasn't advocating terrorism, it'd be okay?  (I know, huge leap from driving miss daisy to blowing up buildings... but if you believe the media, just like speeders terrorists are everywhere!   )

Currently Reading:Next in Queue:
When Heavens CollideRed Mars - Kim Stanley Robinson
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 4 - 5
Hawkeye
September 23, 2008, 3:55pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Well, if you get caught speeding only 10 over, that's tough luck.  You're caught, deal.

As far as the website I posted, I think that just gives people more of a licence to speed and makes things more dangerous, especially since people now are looking at their gadgets instead of the roads.

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 5 - 5
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print Print Thread

Darkshade Forum    General Boards    General Discussion  ›  Is this an appropriate article?