Darkshade Forum    General Boards    Reviews  ›  Chippery Potato Chips
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

Chippery Potato Chips  This thread currently has 1 views. Print Print Thread
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Diddly
August 10, 2008, 2:20pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
While shopping at the nearest Sobey's this weekend, I saw they had displayed this new type of Potato Chip.  It's called "Chippery" and they take a different approach to your Crisps.  Rather than the normal production method, they buy fresh potatoes from a local farmer and insert them (skin on) into the patented "Chippery" machine right there in the store.  In three minutes cooked potato chips come out the other end, are seasoned in a big stainless steel bowl, and bagged for sale.
The ingredients list is pretty simple, and not chock full of preservatives, nor is the bag stuffed  with inert air, so clearly the expiry date is fairly short.
But with all food and snacks, what really matters is the taste.  How do Chippery chips stack up to the competition?  Quite well actually!  They thick enough you can still see the skin around the edge, and you can really taste the potato.  Of the seasonings I've tried BBQ and Sour Cream & Onion.  Both are about equivalent to Humpty Dumpty flavour, but not nearly as oily.  The texture suggests that the Chippery machine bakes the chips, not fries them.
For snackaholics who are concerned about health, there are no trans fats, no cholesterol, and really low (especially for chips!) sodium.  The only down side seems to be the price.  A single bag costs almost $4.
In my opinion, this is a premium potato chip (like something you'd see in the organic aisle) so it can ask the premium price.  What I like about Chippery chips is that they are prepared simply from local potatoes, baked, and have an ingredients list I can understand.

I give them 4.5/5  (Could have a little more intensity in the seasoning)

Check out http://www.chippery.com for more info.

Currently Reading:Next in Queue:
When Heavens CollideRed Mars - Kim Stanley Robinson
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print Print Thread

Darkshade Forum    General Boards    Reviews  ›  Chippery Potato Chips