Darkshade Forum    General Boards    News  ›  Coalition of the Left
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

Coalition of the Left  This thread currently has 1 views. Print Print Thread
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Diddly
November 28, 2008, 5:35pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Thanks to a crippling budget designed to favour the Conservatives over the other parties, according to this article from CTV (http://news.sympatico.msn.ctv......bc=abc&date=True) the Leftist parties (Liberal, NDP, and Bloc) are seriously considering joining up to overthrow Harper's rule.

Currently Reading:Next in Queue:
When Heavens CollideRed Mars - Kim Stanley Robinson
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message
Danmick
November 28, 2008, 7:53pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Knight
My understanding is that the biggest point of contention for the Libs and NDP is the proposal to limit the public funding of political parties.  However, there's also a point in there that limits raises for politicians (which I agree with 100% in tough economic times).  If the Libs take power, do you think that same language will be a part of their economic agenda?
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 1 - 11
Diddly
November 28, 2008, 8:36pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
I presume you're referring to this:
Quoted Text
The cuts include the elimination of a 1.95-dollar-per-vote or 30 million-dollar annual taxpayer subsidy for politicians and political parties, which accounts for up to two-thirds of the opposition parties' revenues.

The subsidy makes up only 35 percent of the election funds collected by the ruling Conservatives in the past year.

The fiscal update was also hoped to include an economic stimulus as forecasts say Canada is now entering a recession, but instead it trimmed government spending and temporarily banned government workers strikes.

Source:http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/afp/081128/canada/canada_politics_economy

I'm pretty sure they wouldn't make those same changes.  As for limiting raises, I would genuinely be surprised Harper's government would make such an offer without having planned a loophole to end up giving themselves more money anyway.

After all, their last government made it illegal for an individual to give more than $1500 in party donations.. which made Harper himself a federal criminal.  Did you see anything come of that?

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 2 - 11
Diddly
November 28, 2008, 8:52pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Here's an update on the topic: http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/545220

The Tories have now removed the government cuts from the budget.. but it seems like the coalition idea is still gaining strength.

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 3 - 11
Danmick
November 30, 2008, 6:29am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Knight
I make no secret of the fact that I'm no fan of the Conservatives, but this whole move by the opposition doesn't sit well with me either (of course, I make no secret of the fact that I've also been against the Liberal party for years).  As much as I may not have liked it, the Canadian people voted for the conservative party to run our country for the next (insert random number here) year(s).  

Whether or not I agreed with the tactic, I could understand the opposition's move to save their funding, especially in light of the fact that the conservatives presumably get more campaign financing by way of corporate funding than the oppsosition parties do (seeing as how the conservatives typically favour corporations' interests over the average citizen, much as the republicans are known to do in the US).  However, now it just looks like the Libs are doing whatever they can to oust the Tories, and gain power back for themselves, regardless of what the canadian voters wanted.  I'm not saying I disagree with their complaints; I think the conservatives do need a comprehensive plan for dealing with the economic crisis.  I just wonder what the Libs' next angle will be if the Tories manage to produce that plan.
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 4 - 11
Diddly
December 2, 2008, 7:31pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
I would argue your statement that the Canadian people voted for the conservative party to run our country.  I've long been a proponent for election reform, and the fact of the matter is that more people voted against the conservative party than for it.  It's only because of two factors that they "won":
1) The first past the post system we have now can theoretically give a majority government to a party with less than 30% of the vote
2) There is only 1 "right wing" party, where as all the leftists are split between 3 or 4 other parties (depending on your province), further exasperating issue 1).

If there were 3 right wing parties, it would be a VERY different picture.  Indeed, that's likely a huge factor as to the creation of the Alliance party (now called Conservative).  They realised that by only offering 1 choice for right leaning people, they dramatically increase their chances of winning.

I agree with you that it will be very interesting if Harper's team can come up with a logical budget with proper economic stimulus.  Do the opposition back down?  Do they threaten to join any time Harper steps outside their comfort zone?  Does Harper call another election and blame the opposition for being uncooperative?

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 5 - 11
Diddly
December 2, 2008, 7:42pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Guess it's official.  They've notified the Governor General of their intention to form a new government.  http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/081201/national/parliament_crisis_1

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 6 - 11
Danmick
December 3, 2008, 4:47am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Knight
Okay, I actually agree with your assertion that the conservatives did not win the popular vote, but that's what it means to have a minority government in a system where there are more than 2 parties.  So what's the next move for the leftists?  Actually have a "coalition" party, so we would have more of a 2-party system, like the states?  I'm not going argue for or against that idea.

Anyway, I probably should have phrased my last post as "the Canadian voters voted (overwhelmingly) AGAINST the Liberals (or at least Dion).  I think that's more accurate, as many votes probably went to the conservatives  because staus quo was better than Dion as PM, in the voters' opinions.
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 7 - 11
Diddly
December 3, 2008, 9:27pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
It's true, Dion and the Liberals took a big hit last election.  I really think he should step down and let Ignatieff (the deputy party leader) take over till the official party vote.  I especially think it's necessary given that tomorrow night (Thursday) at 7pm Harper will be addressing the nation on TV to say how the opposition are being treasonous, and afterwards Dion will be offered a chance for rebuttal.  Well, the nation doesn't seem to like Dion so it really doesn't help his case.  They'd be better off letting Layton talk.

The coalition itself will dissolve after at least 18 months.  We won't be going to an american 2 party system (which btw, isn't REALLY 2 parties, just only 2 realistic options).  Personally, I prefer having multiple choices like we have now.  I just wish the system was more representative of the actual votes for each party.

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 8 - 11
Diddly
December 4, 2008, 8:37pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Rather than face losing control, Harper has requested the Governor General suspend government.  http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7765206.stm.  This gives them the ability to continue to govern without having to deal with the opposition parties.  However, it limits them against creating new laws or new budgets.  Basically they are prevented from doing anything that would require a vote from the house.

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 9 - 11
Hawkeye
December 5, 2008, 1:47pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
I couple of things i would like to add to the conversation, all this talk in the media and the spinning of illegal tactics, by both sides is retarded.

First, Canadians choose the parliament, but parliament chooses the government.  So, in this case Harper made the mistake of trying to govern like he has a majority, ie ramming things down the throats of the opposition, namely the $1.95 per vote being withdrawn.  That $30 million dollar savings is nothing, and furthermore, it is the ONLY thing in Canadian Federal Politics that is PURELY representational.  

Second, because the opposition parties drew up a contract makes them a viable ruling coalition despite the fact the bloc are aiding.  This is a legal tactic by the opposition parties.  Harper courted the bloc as well when martin had a minority government.  Now he cries foul when it has been successfully perpetrated against him.

Now, what do I think?  Both sides are idiotic.  Harper for his mistake, and the opposition for suddenly thinking they have the popular support... when clearly the public said they did not want Dion as PM.  Harper's plans need rejigging, namely getting the budget ready in such a way as to compromise his way with the oppositions way.  Make it difficult for the opposition to vote against the budget and if they do then point to the opposition as not willing to work with his conservatives.  What should the Liberals do, Dion should resign and they should get their new leader right away... as leader of the official opposition he is as lame a duck as we've ever seen.  His righteous indignation may be real, but it is a bluster and lacks legitimacy.

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 10 - 11
Diddly
December 10, 2008, 8:31pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Quoted from Hawkeye
Canadians choose the parliament, but parliament chooses the government.

I quote that statement at every opportunity.  It just so succinctly puts an end to any "undemocratic" or "illegal" argument.

So Hawkeye, does your anti-coalition statement hold now that Dion has resigned and Rae has bowed out?

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 11 - 11
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print Print Thread

Darkshade Forum    General Boards    News  ›  Coalition of the Left