Darkshade Forum    General Boards    Reviews  ›  Star Trek
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

Star Trek  This thread currently has 1 views. Print Print Thread
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Diddly
May 19, 2009, 2:12pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Star Trek returns to its roots, a space-western, in this latest movie.  It's dubbed a 'reboot' because it starts over from the beginning and tells the story a little bit differently, updated for today's audiences.

But this is no 'Batman Begins'.  Secure your brain switch firmly in the 'Off' position and just enjoy the ride.  The story is pretty contrived, but I suspect it had to be in order to keep the Trekkie's from nitpicking.  You see, the story centers around another Time Travel event, which frees the writers from observing established 'canon'.  So what you think you know about Trek no longer applies.

Here's the best (and funniest) review of the story I've seen: http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1910892  Don't worry, there's no spoilers.

I enjoyed the performances mostly.  Each of these fledgling characters were fairly easy to imagine growing into the more mature characters we recognize.  Well, except Sulu.  There really didn't seem to be much to the Sulu character, but I guess we never really got to know Sulu in the original series either.

The Good:
- Cool looking Enterprise.
- Enjoyable portrayals of younger versions of well known characters
- Fun to watch pompous Kirk take his bumps before becoming well known

The Bad:
- Ugh.. another Time Travel story.
- Utterly forgettable enemy, who could have just WARNED his people upon going back in time, rather than his kamikaze vengeance approach in a MINING vessel.

The Ugly:
- A completely pointless and unbelievable chase in the snow

Attachment: star_trek_poster_small_3304.png
Size: 100.64 KB

Currently Reading:Next in Queue:
When Heavens CollideRed Mars - Kim Stanley Robinson
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message
Hawkeye
February 22, 2010, 4:46pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Chubbs and I just watched this film over the weekend and I must admit I liked it.  When I realized there was a space/time event I was very anxious about it.  In the past the writers of Star Trek used this plot advancement too much with little or no ill affects from its implementation.  By that I mean things are returned to normal, no problem ie First Contact, and any of the Next Gen episodes where time travel was featured so prominently.

However, once the enemy came through the time portal, they waited for 25 years at that spot for the old Spock to appear.  Why?  Because they're not able to go back to the other time.  In this way, things are now changed forever and cannot be reset.  It is a reboot of sorts.  And I like it.

As for the enemy they do have a one track mind and who would believe them?  Ie I come from the 25th century and the sun will go supernova in 200 years.

As for the chase scene, yeah a bit over done.  Perhaps limiting it to just one creature would have been better...

Overall, I give the movie 7.91234245 out of 10.

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 1 - 1
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print Print Thread

Darkshade Forum    General Boards    Reviews  ›  Star Trek