Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Online Voting?
Forum Login
Login Name: Create a new account
Password:     Forgot password

Darkshade Forum    General Boards    News  ›  Online Voting?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

Online Voting?  This thread currently has 1 views. Print Print Thread
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Diddly
June 29, 2009, 2:11pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Canada has been suffering a serious decline in the number of voters turning out for elections.  Some say it's election burnout.  Some say it's apathy.  Some say Canadians just can't stomach what's on the menu.
But according to a recent survey, a whopping 54% (of 3,348 people) would use the internet to cast their ballot.  The suggestion is that enabling e-voting would encourage greater turnout.  Source:http://www.vancouversun.com/ne.....t/1740238/story.html
With all the Diebold debacles in the States, I'm leery of anything but paper ballots.  What do you think?

Attachment: images_85.jpeg
Size: 1.53 KB

Currently Reading:Next in Queue:
When Heavens CollideRed Mars - Kim Stanley Robinson
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message
Danmick
July 2, 2009, 12:29am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Knight
First, I'm still leery of paper ballots, but not as much as I am of e-ballots.  Second, I think that when the 54% realized that they'd have jump through hoops (like registering for an e-pass) in order to vote online, they'd probably not bother with that method either.
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 1 - 2
Shabadu_SMH
July 3, 2009, 7:31pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
I think it would encourage a lot more young people to vote.. and that's where the vote is tapering off (I read that is some car magazine before the last election).  So perhaps this would revive things somewhat.. but it would take the voting 54% and perhaps bring it up to 60 or 70% at best.  And they'd have to keep the paper ballots as well for the older people or else they'd lose a chunk there.. and besides this IS Canada.. why do one thing right, when you can appeal to a much broader audience and do 2 or 3 or 10 things half-assed?

Sigh.. I'm becoming my old man...
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 2 - 2
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print Print Thread

Darkshade Forum    General Boards    News  ›  Online Voting?