Darkshade Forum    General Boards    Reviews  ›  Kenki Sushi
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

Kenki Sushi  This thread currently has 1 views. Print Print Thread
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Diddly
August 2, 2009, 4:07pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Good things come in small packages.  In this case, I would agree.  Kenki Sushi is a tiny little restaurant in Oakville (402 Kerr Street) with no more than a dozen seats, most of which are at the sushi counter itself.  They do provide take-out, so don't let the size of your group stop you from trying this excellent establishment.
I had the Deluxe Combo, which comes with 5 pieces of nigiri sushi, 5 pieces of sashimi, and 8 pieces of california roll.  Let me just say, the sashimi was soft like marshmallow and melted on my tongue.  No rough edges in the cuts and the texture was perfect.  The same can be said for the nigiri, and I don't know how, but I felt like the california roll had a little extra flavour than I expected.
The chef clearly took care in the presentation as well.  Little things, like making every second cut of the california roll angled, so when plated all lined up with little peaks all pointing the same direction.
After our meal, we were presented with one of the Chef's own creations.  I believe it was the Tony Roll.  Like a California roll, but with tempura Sweet Potato inside, and a delicious spicy sauce drizzled on top, this roll was triply delectable.  Initially you taste the sweet potato, which makes for a nice base.  Then the spice kicks in and you get a sharp little "Hello!" of flavour.  And somehow, just when you thought you've experienced all this roll has to give, there comes a mellowing aftertaste that wraps it together.  Very hard to describe, but quite enjoyable.
Run by a husband and wife team, this gem has been around for three years and I hope many more.  I expect to be going back.  I just wish I didn't have to go all the way to Oakville for it!

Attachment: kenki1_4089.png
Size: 419.72 KB

Attachment: kenki2_8502.png
Size: 428.88 KB

Currently Reading:Next in Queue:
When Heavens CollideRed Mars - Kim Stanley Robinson
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message
Chiquita
September 15, 2009, 8:28pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Knight
A recent return visit to Kenki Sushi reconfirms its outstanding quality and service. This time around, gorged on the magic, rainbow, and tiger rolls. So Delicious!!! The Tiger roll was my favorite with BBQ eel and salmon, the rainbow roll had great variety and the magic roll was a combination of tempura, special sauce and cooked salmon (served warm)-it had great crunch and flavor too. Again treated to a special additional free dish- a seaweed cone with a nice spicy sauce filled with fish and rice. Even, the wasabi taste better there!! Tiny restaurant with great taste and service that I wish would come to KW!!
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 1 - 1
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print Print Thread

Darkshade Forum    General Boards    Reviews  ›  Kenki Sushi