Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Another Election?
Forum Login
Login Name: Create a new account
Password:     Forgot password

Darkshade Forum    General Boards    News  ›  Another Election?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

Another Election?  This thread currently has 1 views. Print Print Thread
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Diddly
September 2, 2009, 8:08pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Ignatieff says, "Mr. Harper, your time is up.  The Liberal party cannot support this government any further."  http://www.thestar.com/Article/689723
The question is, why have they been supporting it this long?  Shouldn't they be deciding on an issue by issue basis, as opposed to a general "Oh okay, let's do what you want for a while"?

Currently Reading:Next in Queue:
When Heavens CollideRed Mars - Kim Stanley Robinson
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message
Hawkeye
September 3, 2009, 2:00pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
The Liberals have been 'supporting' the conservatives this long because they didn't feel they had a chance to force and win an election.  Now, because the poll numbers are even, the Liberals feel they can be more aggressive and if necessary launch an election if necessary with the greater chance they'd win.  Pure and simple they've been picking their battles.  Like in war, no one starts an election knowing they'll lose.

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 1 - 4
Jeej
September 3, 2009, 7:47pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator
Guest User
What?? Politicians aren't looking out for their constituents at every turn? Doing what's best for the people that voted for them? Looking out for themselves? I refuse to believe it!
E-mail E-mail Reply: 2 - 4
Diddly
September 3, 2009, 10:38pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Your sarcasm seems to imply that it's okay just because they all do it.  Politicians, or even people in general for that matter, will do whatever they think they can get away with.  If nobody calls them on their behaviour, nothing will improve.

Currently Reading:Next in Queue:
When Heavens CollideRed Mars - Kim Stanley Robinson
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 3 - 4
Jeej
September 9, 2009, 1:15pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator
Guest User
My intent was not to imply that it was okay simply because it is done.  I agree that as Canadians we need to stop simply bitching about how our politicians frequently do little solely because it is what is right for their constituency especially if it goes against 'party lines'.  Governments forcing their elected members to vote a certain way on issues even when their constituents would be against it is an appalling practice in my opinion.

The problem lies with the voters.  Canadian voters have shown time and again that they are most likely to vote for the party that they always voted for (often the one that their parents voted for) regardless of issues or who they feel would be best suited to represent them or run the country.  And until there is a fundamental shift in thinking amongst a fairly large portion of the voting public, which I don't think is coming any time soon, then things will continue on as they have for as long as I can recall.
E-mail E-mail Reply: 4 - 4
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print Print Thread

Darkshade Forum    General Boards    News  ›  Another Election?