Darkshade Forum    General Boards    News  ›  Sony Goes Stupid
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

Sony Goes Stupid  This thread currently has 1 views. Print Print Thread
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Diddly
March 30, 2010, 12:52pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
At first I thought this http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/6835.html was an April Fools prank, but then realised it's not yet April 1st.
In a complete reversal of their promise to "never charge for online multiplayer", Sony has decided that in addition to a premium PSN subscription, they'd also start charging users for the basic service.
Well.  I guess I'll only be playing single player and split screen games then.

Attachment: images_69.jpg
Size: 3.61 KB

Currently Reading:Next in Queue:
When Heavens CollideRed Mars - Kim Stanley Robinson
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message
Shabadu_SMH
March 30, 2010, 1:23pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
I guess it is good I never found many PS3 games I enjoyed playing online.
According to the article, it would be a $60-$80 annual fee too.. for basic service.
Hell I don't think I'd pay that much for the premium service.. What a rip off.
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 1 - 8
Hawkeye
March 30, 2010, 7:51pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Noo need to worry... it was an early april fools joke...  Check out the link again.

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 2 - 8
Diddly
March 31, 2010, 3:20pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Hopefully Sony is playing an April Fools prank of their own!  They now claim they will be disabling the OtherOS feature in PS3s with the next firmware update.  http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8594720.stm
As someone who was expecting to put Linux on the PS3 once it eventually became too old for games, let me tell you, this sucks!

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 3 - 8
Diddly
April 1, 2010, 8:38pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
It's true.  Sony has dropped OtherOS support.  This kind of sucks, since now if I want to play anything online, or check out a demo at the store, I have to upgrade the firmware and lose the ability to ever install linux on the PS3, a feature that was advertised and an incentive to buying it.  http://www.osnews.com/story/23084/George_Hotz_Working_to_Restore_PS3_Other_OS_Support
I'd even be content if they'd just let you downgrade your PS3 back to a previous firmware, so I could install Linux later once PSN becomes moot.

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 4 - 8
Diddly
April 2, 2010, 11:54pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
For now, if you set your primary DNS to 67.202.81.137 on the PS3, you can still get online without the firmware upgrade.  No idea how long this will last.

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 5 - 8
Diddly
April 7, 2010, 2:50pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
The latest Sony update could even brick your PS3 (fat).  Glad I haven't updated.  http://www.thinq.co.uk/news/2010/4/7/sony-update-bricks-fat-playstations/

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 6 - 8
Diddly
April 22, 2010, 7:47pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
So now Sony is pushing PS3 updates automatically and without warning.  Is this their response to the many customers who have refrained from installing their latest update?  A slashdot commenter put it best (in my opinion):
Quoted Text
This isn't about linux. It never was. This is about getting what you paid for, and keeping it.

Let's say you bought a fairly expensive item - like a car. Let's also, for the sake of simplicity, say you paid for it in full. You are the owner of the car.

Included in the price you paid, there are a bunch of features - some you'll use, others you won't. Regardless of whether you use them, you paid for them. Moonroof, heated seats, air conditioning, etc...

Let's say one of those features is free maintenance every 6 months, at the manufacturer's dealership. You bring in the car, and they change the oil, fill the fluids, check the air in your tires, replace the windshield wipers, etc...

Now, a year after you bought the car, you bring it in for service. When you get it back, the heated seats have been replaced with physically-identical un-heated seats.

This may not upset you too much if you never actually used the heated seats. However, was it right for the manufacturer to remove them?

The next time you bring it in for maintenance, you ask what they plan to do. In addition to the usual stuff, they tell you they intend to remove your air conditioner - not because there's a problem with it, but because the manufacturer has decided they don't want to support air conditioners anymore. You protest - you paid for the air conditioner, and it's something you use. You don't want to lose it. The dealership says "OK, take the car and leave then. We're not working on it unless you let us remove the air conditioner. Oh, and you won't be able to play any new CDs in your CD player until you let us remove the AC."

This is what Sony's already done. This is what folks are complaining about - and what they have a right and duty to complain about.

What Sony's doing now is equivalent to the dealership saying: "We can come in the middle of the night and remove your AC if we so choose, without telling you or giving you the right to refuse".

Who owns that car again?

Who owns your PS3?

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 7 - 8
Diddly
June 30, 2010, 6:32pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
So while online multiplayer remains free (for now) with the PSN basic service, the question is, who is buying the premium pay service?  Penny Arcade knows.    http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2010/6/30/

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 8 - 8
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print Print Thread

Darkshade Forum    General Boards    News  ›  Sony Goes Stupid