Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
The War on Information
Forum Login
Login Name: Create a new account
Password:     Forgot password

Darkshade Forum    General Boards    General Discussion  ›  The War on Information
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

The War on Information  This thread currently has 1 views. Print Print Thread
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Danmick
September 13, 2010, 10:16am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Knight
A story was published in most of the major news outlets recently which made reference to an RCMP concern over a possible Coup D'etat.  The story was then mysteriously 'unpublished'.  If you want to see what somebody apparently doesn't want you to see, a couple of bloggers have posted the original story pulled from their browser caches, including this one ( http://whipseroftheage.wordpress.com/ ), who includes the original url's of the story so you can see for yourself that it's been removed from all of the sites.  I personally don't see what the controversy is in the article, but that this blatant Orwellian censorship happens in Canada turns my stomach a little bit.

And as long as we're on the topic, here's another example of Harpo's Ministry of Truth at work: http://www.canada.com/news/Ottawa+media+rules+muzzling+federal+scientists/3513960/story.html

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message
Diddly
September 13, 2010, 1:18pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Is it censorship or revising?  The Ottawa Citizen does still have a story about RCMP warning of a possible coup d'etat, just not at the URL posted in McGoo's Blog: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/n.....t/3515045/story.html
Is the content the same?  I haven't done a comparison.  It is interesting to note that even the link on the Citizen's page to a similar Calgary Herald article doesn't exist, even though the story is less than a day old.  (I've included a screen shot of the Citizen's page...  the Calgary Herald link is on the right near the bottom)
I do feel that Harper's government, for all it's "transparency" and "common sense", is one of the most secretive and debilitating governments we've had in a long time.  So it wouldn't surprise me all that much if the government put a gag order on the press about a coup d'etat.  However I feel much more likely is that some aspect of the story is wrong and in their hurry to publish it, the media failed in their fact checking and had to pull the articles in favour of more correct stories (which could be posted with different URLs).

Update: After reading both articles, comparing paragraph by paragraph, the story and facts are identical.  If there *was* something to hide or retract, this blogger dude and his personal cache missed it.

Attachment: 59_am_5479.png
Size: 137.78 KB

Currently Reading:Next in Queue:
When Heavens CollideRed Mars - Kim Stanley Robinson
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 1 - 3
Danmick
September 13, 2010, 5:20pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Knight
That's interesting... at the time of my first post, the alternate page at the Citizen didn't seem to be there either.  
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 2 - 3
Diddly
September 13, 2010, 7:56pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Unsurprisingly we didn't have to wait long until a story cropped up about the government manipulating the media.  Here's one from today.
The following article describes new rules for NRC scientists, such that they may not talk to the media on any issue until they receive approval from the minister's office.  http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Tightened+muzzle+scientists+Orwellian/3515345/story.html
So we pay the scientists with our tax dollars to figure stuff out, but whatever they find has to meet with the agenda of the politicians before we get to hear about it?!

Currently Reading:Next in Queue:
When Heavens CollideRed Mars - Kim Stanley Robinson
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 3 - 3
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print Print Thread

Darkshade Forum    General Boards    General Discussion  ›  The War on Information