Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Should other countries law be upheld in Canada?
Forum Login
Login Name: Create a new account
Password:     Forgot password

Darkshade Forum    General Boards    General Discussion  ›  Should other countries law be upheld in Canada?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

Should other countries law be upheld in Canada?  This thread currently has 1 views. Print Print Thread
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Chiquita
October 8, 2010, 12:25am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Knight
Facebook was spammed by a quebec "entrepreneur" and convicted in US. Subsequently, Canadian courts were asked by the US to upheld the ruling for an American crime. Should we really hearing cases for crimes committed on foreign countries and not crimes in our country?http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/101005/national/facebook_spam_penalty
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message
Shabadu_SMH
October 8, 2010, 12:18pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Yah I read about this, Facebook sued him for a billion dollars.
While I normally don't agree with think this type of thing (cross-border cases), something needs to be done regarding the internet since it HAS no borders (or fewer than those imposed by international laws).  I don't think Facebook has a chance in hell of getting a billion dollars out of this guy, but I think it is good to put the scare in to spammers everywhere!
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 1 - 8
Hawkeye
October 8, 2010, 12:29pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
I don't think other countries' laws should be automatically upheld in Canada.  The fact in this case is that the lawsuit was reviewed by a Quebec court and upheld.  But, he's just going to claim bankruptcy and Facebook will never get any money.

The real question is, this is supposed to be a precedent, but really, is worth spending all those dollars and wasting court time?  I don't know.

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 2 - 8
Shabadu_SMH
October 8, 2010, 9:03pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
He did claim bankruptcy 2 or 3 months back.
Was it worth the time to set the precedent?  I think it is.. no one does anything about spammers and they just keep getting away with it... at some point someone needs to do something about it.. and if this is the first step, I encourage it.
Having been in advertising and having been on conservative clients (relatively speaking automotive are some of the biggest spenders but also amongst the most conservative), perhaps has lead me to have an overly sensitive sense of accountability, but I think all advertisers should have that.. there are too many loop holes that no one cares enough to stand up for.. this is the start (I hope) of closing one of those off...
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 3 - 8
Chiquita
October 16, 2010, 6:27pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Knight
I think if he could not pay the fine, he should have done US jail time. It seems silly to allow this individual to essential go unpunished.
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 4 - 8
Hawkeye
November 9, 2010, 1:47pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
I think being sued for hundreds of millions of dollars and forced into bankruptcy is enough.  Leave jail for those that committed more serious crimes.

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 5 - 8
Shabadu_SMH
November 9, 2010, 3:11pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Yah he didn't take any of that seriously - he's apparently declared bankruptcy before and he didn't have to pay a penny of the money he was sued for.. so that punishment was completely useless and a huge waste of time.  It seems to just be business as usual for him...
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 6 - 8
Chiquita
November 12, 2010, 1:00am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Knight
Quoted from Hawkeye
I think being sued for hundreds of millions of dollars and forced into bankruptcy is enough.  Leave jail for those that committed more serious crimes.

I don't think it is enough of a statement. Spamming hurts and wastes the time of thousands of individuals maybe 1000+ hours of community service would be more appropriate. To this guy, it is just a joke and he is enjoying his fame. I don't think he learned anything.
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 7 - 8
Hawkeye
November 12, 2010, 2:20pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
I personally have never been hurt by spam, unless you count that time I ate bad spam and wretched my guts out... OK I've been hurt by spam but not the email kind.

You think bankruptcy is a joke?  I don't.  It will affect him for a long time.. He can't get a loan for a car or home, can't get credit cards.  Good luck getting a cell phone plan.  His bad credit will follow him everywhere he goes.

Though, I do like your idea of community service.

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 8 - 8
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print Print Thread

Darkshade Forum    General Boards    General Discussion  ›  Should other countries law be upheld in Canada?