Chiquita
November 3, 2010, 6:19pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Knight
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message
Diddly
November 3, 2010, 10:47pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
I call shenanigans.  Women are happier than men because of a lower suicide rate?  Even though men do have a higher suicide rate, women have a higher ATTEMPTED suicide rate, by a ratio of 3:1.  Men just happen to be better at getting the job done.

Source: http://www.afsp.org/index.cfm?.....FFA-DA9C65C381BAAEC0

Currently Reading:Next in Queue:
When Heavens CollideRed Mars - Kim Stanley Robinson
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 1 - 8
Shabadu_SMH
November 4, 2010, 12:41pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Besides, men have always had harder lives, being the ones responsible for the well-being of the family unit... women have always taken the easier, less stressful path in everything, allowing men to take on all the pressures in life.  Women have no NEED to commit suicide, for them it is all part of the "pay attention to me, I'm important, I need attention.. NOW!!!".. it just so happens that occasionally in their inappropriate attempts at attention, they occasionally take it too far.

I too have a scientific study to reference here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JO0-WCEOw4
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 2 - 8
Diddly
November 4, 2010, 2:12pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Um... way to crap all over any chance of intelligent discourse.  Also your video made me consider suicide as a way to stop watching it.

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 3 - 8
Shabadu_SMH
November 4, 2010, 2:57pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Hahahahaha..mission accomplished!
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 4 - 8
Chiquita
November 5, 2010, 2:04am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Knight
Quoted from Diddly
I call shenanigans.  Women are happier than men because of a lower suicide rate?  Even though men do have a higher suicide rate, women have a higher ATTEMPTED suicide rate, by a ratio of 3:1.  Men just happen to be better at getting the job done.

Source: http://www.afsp.org/index.cfm?.....FFA-DA9C65C381BAAEC0

suicide as an attention getting mechanism?
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 5 - 8
Diddly
November 5, 2010, 2:33am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Well, that seems to be what Shabadu is arguing (if you can extract any meaning from his post )  There may be some truth to that, given that those who threaten to commit suicide (or say they are considering it) tend to be begging for attention.  It's the ones that don't tell anyone that are serious.

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 6 - 8
Hawkeye
November 5, 2010, 12:49pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
I tend to agree with Diddly about the serious ones.  My father's cousin told nobody and then one day his wife came home and there was a manila folder on the garage door saying to call 911.  He had planned everything, life insurance, funeral, everything... EXCEPT the fact that his wife would look in the garage to see that he had shot himself in the heart... NOR did he plan on the carnage his action wrought upon his three children.

Anyway, stating that men are the weaker sex judging by our life expectancy is a little spurious. Strength can be measured in so many ways, physical, character, emotional... The fact that men have lower life expectancy is mostly due to men being greater risk takers, certainly insurance rates for people aged under 25 bear this out (A lot higher for males than females).  But, then the article needed to draw attention to itself and did so in an almost fraudulent way.

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 7 - 8
Shabadu_SMH
November 5, 2010, 1:03pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Well I WAS being facetious in my post, but many suicide attempts ARE a cry for attention - both men and women use suicide threats to garner attention from the various people in their lives (or the various people they WANT to be part of their lives...).  As it so happens, men tend to be more likely to commit to their course of action (as Diddly mentioned in the 3:1 statistic).. and no I didn't pull this info out of a "car magazine", it was a chapter in the psychopathology course I took in university many MANY years ago (the ONE course I did well in because I actually paid attention).
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 8 - 8
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print Print Thread

Darkshade Forum    General Boards    General Discussion  ›  XX trumps XY