Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Sucker Punch - a new low
Forum Login
Login Name: Create a new account
Password:     Forgot password

Darkshade Forum    General Boards    General Discussion  ›  Sucker Punch - a new low
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

Sucker Punch - a new low  This thread currently has 1 views. Print Print Thread
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Diddly
March 26, 2011, 2:04pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Hey danmick, are you SURE you still want to go see Sucker Punch?

http://ca.kotaku.com/5785833/s.....death-of-moviemaking

Quoted Text
Sucker Punch is such a bad movie that it raises the bar for what counts as terrible. That's because there's a horrific genius in it. This film will crystallize for you all those half-formed thoughts about what's wrong with Hollywood.

Currently Reading:Next in Queue:
When Heavens CollideRed Mars - Kim Stanley Robinson
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message
Danmick
March 26, 2011, 2:34pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Knight
I never really cared whether or not this movie had a decent plot; as I told you before, I wanted to see it for the visuals.  I can often see a movie in the theater, and enjoy it for the experience - off goes the brain, just enjoy the ride.  Maybe it's just a reason to justify the money I've spent on going to the theater, maybe it's the atmosphere, like seeing a live sporting event rather than watching it on TV.  There have been times when I've re-watched a movie I enjoyed in the theater, and pretty much hated it on the small screen.  Con Air was a perfect example - fun in the theater, thoroughly hated it at home.

You're right, now I don't really care if I see this in the theater, because I'll be just be dissecting it the whole time.  The classiest thing the reviewer did was give away the ending!

If it's as bad as he says though, even I probably wouldn't have liked it anyway :/
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 1 - 3
Shabadu_SMH
March 28, 2011, 12:27pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Well I read this review because unfortunately it ruined the movie enough for danmick that he no longer wants to see it in theatre, which in turn means I won't see it in theatre.  I'm not super-disappointed because I expected it to be bad, but I figured if there was any hope of me liking the movie, it was due to the theatre experience.

After reading the review, danmick claimed "the classiest thing the reviewer did was give away the ending!", but danmick you have only yourself to blame because the reviewer clearly stated "spoiler alert".. you couldn't have missed that.  In the future ALWAYS expect "spoiler alert" means "I am going to ruin the movie with enough details that there will be no surprises".

In any case, I have not seen the movie, so I certainly can't comment on whether this guy was speaking true or not, but as always, a review is simply ONE PERSON'S opinion, and as I've seen (and in plenty of cases proven myself), one person's opinion does not a full story make.  So in that interest, I came across someone who had another opinion of the movie... it wasn't as well thought out as the one posted by Diddly, but to be honest, danmick's viewing pleasure would likely be more on par with this guy, at least before reading the other review:

http://www.edge.ca/Blogs/ABlogByAdam/BlogEntry.aspx?BlogEntryID=10219817
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 2 - 3
Shabadu_SMH
March 31, 2011, 3:56pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Danmick and I went to see this last night and I have to say it was in no way a disappointment.  Of course I went in with low expectations for the story - it IS an action movie afterall - but it was an enjoyable movie after all.  The action sequences were well done and most the the points that were emphasized in the online review Diddly linked to were, in my opinion grossly exaggerated.  As with this style of movie, I strongly recommend that if you go to watch it, turn your brain off and try to enjoy the movie for the fun romp through its various sequences.  

This movie actually felt a lot like a videogame to me - each "quest" (set in it's own unique, fun and flashy setting) had the odds massively and unrealistically stacked against the heroine (and her companions).  I could see a really cool hack-n-slash video game stemming from this where you get every genre and style out there... think Diablo or Dragon's Age but each quest you go on jumps into various backdrops, future, past, present, realistic, fantasy and sci-fi battlegrounds - the options are endless.  And then a between each quest you're brought back to the insane asylum/brothel to help move the storyline along, allowing you to complete an over-arching goal that provides the reasons for jumping in to the various battlegrounds.  I'd play it!!
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 3 - 3
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print Print Thread

Darkshade Forum    General Boards    General Discussion  ›  Sucker Punch - a new low