Darkshade Forum    General Boards    News  ›  Sony in the Crosshairs
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

Sony in the Crosshairs  This thread currently has 1 views. Print Print Thread
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Hawkeye
April 4, 2011, 6:35pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Seems Sony has upset Anonymous, the hacker elite group of... hackers.  Seems they've just released their mission statement.

http://anonnews.org/?p=press&a=item&i=787

Interesting times!

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message
Diddly
April 4, 2011, 7:11pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
As much as I think Anonymous are a bunch of punks who think they rule the Net, Sony has been painting a real target on themselves lately.  I couldn't care less that they are suing hackers, since they have to at least show they're trying to defend the technology.  What I have a beef with is how they go about "building their case".  Here's some of the dirty tricks they're pulling:
  • Subpoenaing the IP addresses of everyone who even visited Geohot's web site
  • Subpoenaing the account information of anyone who viewed his Youtube videos
  • Smearing him falsely for "fleeing the country" using donated legal funds (when in fact the legal funds are being held in trust, and any surplus gets donated to EFF, and this isn't even a criminal case so no point in fleeing, and he's just on vacation)
  • Claiming Geohot intentionally dismantled the drives they sequestered, when in fact, the drives were an array and they failed to request the controller card.
  • Subpoenaing the identities of anyone who donated to Geohot's legal fund
  • Subpoenaing the computer drives of everyone involved in the class action lawsuit against Sony for removing OtherOS.  If they are running linux, they MUST be hackers (which is ironic, since the only purpose to having OtherOS is to install linux)
  • Subpoenaing the identities of anyone twittering about PS3 hacks

So you see, the fight isn't just Sony vs a couple of hackers.  They are after every subversive scrap of information, and just by being curious (you needn't have even contemplated piracy) you could get painted a deviant.

Most of my information above comes from Kotaku and PS3-Hacks.

Currently Reading:Next in Queue:
When Heavens CollideRed Mars - Kim Stanley Robinson
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 1 - 1
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print Print Thread

Darkshade Forum    General Boards    News  ›  Sony in the Crosshairs