Darkshade Forum    General Boards    News  ›  iPhone Tracking You
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

iPhone Tracking You  This thread currently has 1 views. Print Print Thread
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Diddly
April 20, 2011, 6:28pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
There has been a lot of hoopla today regarding a story that your iOS device (iPhone, iPad) is tracking your location.  Here are the facts:

• Yes, a record is being kept on your device of your location
  • Yes, it syncs with your computer when you connect the device
  • Yes, cell phone carriers already track the same information
  • No, the information is not transmitted to Apple
  • Yes, unscrupulous software on your iOS device or computer could access this data (but I doubt this is the most dangerous data that could be stolen)

Source:http://petewarden.github.com/iPhoneTracker/#1
I've compiled and run the open source application provided on the linked site, and have confirmed that yes, my iPad has been tracking everywhere I've been for the past year.  It's rather unsettling.

Attachment: iphonetrack3_01_4736.jpg
Size: 691.00 KB

Currently Reading:Next in Queue:
When Heavens CollideRed Mars - Kim Stanley Robinson
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message
Diddly
April 26, 2011, 12:07am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Here is an informative explanation of how Apple is NOT tracking you, yet Android is.
Quoted Text
It has meanwhile been debunked that this file tracks the location of the iPhone. It draws a map of locations of cell towers. The positions in this file are not the position of the iPhone when the user used a location app, the positions are the locations of the cell towers the iPhone saw in this moment. This is pretty clear now. The cell tower ID is the UNIQUE ID of the database, there are only clusters of tower locations saved at the same time with locations miles apart and NONE of these are the actual position of your phone.

Some real world testing: http://www.willclarke.net/?p=247 [willclarke.net]

And yes, this also paints a rough picture of where you used location services, because only the stations around the places where you used location services are in this database. But: The stations are miles around your real position and since there is no signal strength info saved triangulation is not possible. I have found stations recorded that were up to ten miles away from my true position and hardly any stations nearer than half a mile (you'd need to stand right under a cell tower and use Google Maps there to have the position of the iPhone and the tower match by accident, so this happens almost never and the data shows exactly that).

So: The iPhone builds a local database with a network topography map and never throws it away. If it would throw that info away it would need to ask external databases (of Google or SkyHook) instead to learn the coordinates of the towers that it sees. By doing so it would neccessarily TELL these providers where it is.

Basically you have the choice of your phone tracking you (very roughly) in an internal database or have someone else providing an external database and by this tracking your phone. The iPhone does the first, Android does the latter (and Android even sends the Unique Device ID along). Believe it or not, but technically Jobs is right. The iPhone tracks you in an internal database, but with Android Google tracks your phone in external databases.

I don't expect many people to understand that though. Even with much explaining to basically neutral people hardly more than 5 of ten understand how positioning works and what it implies. Or what a "Unique Device ID" is.

Source:http://apple.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=2103420&cid=35935354

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 1 - 2
Diddly
April 28, 2011, 6:14pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 2 - 2