Darkshade Forum    General Boards    General Discussion  ›  Ugly UW HO
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

Ugly UW HO   This thread currently has 1 views. Print Print Thread
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Chiquita
April 21, 2011, 4:08am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Knight
Frankly, I am amazed at the support given to this ugly UW HO. Good job HO! Great work at leading the Formula SAE team victory-oh that right- your 30 teammates can't go because you were a selfish little HO.  Brilliant idea HO suggesting that naked women draped on a car fosters an image of female intellectual empowerment...I really doubt the horny men viewing this photo see your brain potential. Nice touch HO on saying it was for an application for breast cancer charity calendar..that is why HO you posted it online for world to see.. an ugly UW HO.

Attachment: bikini_ho_7346.jpg
Size: 79.44 KB

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message
Diddly
April 21, 2011, 1:19pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
The back story here (as I understand it, please correct me if I'm wrong) is that this person actually led the engineering team that built the car.  After finishing the project, she wanted to pose in a bikini with her work, and sell the picture(s) for a cancer calendar.  To this (profiting, even for charity, using university property) the Dean suspended the team's entry in this years race.
If this is the same punishment the Dean would give for any other financial side projects (say a team member plastered the logo of their own personal startup company on the car, and that company made no contributions to the project), then the Dean was being completely fair.
I suspect the pro-woman comments made were about being a female lead for the engineering team.  The engineering faculty at UW (at least when I was there) has a horrid male-female ratio, so kudos to any woman who takes charge.
And if she really did want to pose in a bikini in front of the car?  What could be more empowering than doing what you want?  Sure, acting like a sex object doesn't exactly move the feminist cause forward, but neither does dictating how women should act.

Currently Reading:Next in Queue:
When Heavens CollideRed Mars - Kim Stanley Robinson
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 1 - 5
Chiquita
April 21, 2011, 2:40pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Knight
- the HO lead the team that worked on the chassis; the HO did not the entire car team
- the HO want the pictures to enter a modeling contest and contest for a supposed breast cancer calendar both of which would provide her with cash/fame, there is no altruism in her acts
- the HO action further degrade other women into being seen as a commodity than as people

as a leader she shows that women must sell their bodies in order to get ahead-hurray HO
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 2 - 5
Diddly
April 21, 2011, 2:53pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
I don't think I suggested that there were any altruistic intentions.  Nor did I suggest her choice was a progressive one.  Quite the contrary in fact.  "..acting like a sex object doesn't exactly move the feminist cause forward.."
My point was, in the spirit of feminism, she be free to make stupid decisions.

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 3 - 5
Chiquita
April 21, 2011, 3:04pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Knight
Quoted from Diddly
My point was, in the spirit of feminism, she be free to make stupid decisions.

how is the "spirit of feminism" supported by allowing her to be free to make her "stupid decision"? I don't see there is anything pro-female or feministic about it.
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 4 - 5
Diddly
April 21, 2011, 6:27pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
You're right.  She should be sent to a finishing school to learn how to act like a proper lady.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding feminism, but I thought it was all about giving women the right to make their own decisions?

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 5 - 5
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print Print Thread

Darkshade Forum    General Boards    General Discussion  ›  Ugly UW HO