Darkshade Forum    General Boards    Reviews  ›  Rango
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

Rango  This thread currently has 1 views. Print Print Thread
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Diddly
June 30, 2011, 2:45am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
I had no idea what to expect from Rango, but was pleasantly surprised by the quality of animation and story.  In an interesting twist from the classic western with the nameless hero, Rango spins heroic tales about himself in an effort to "blend in" (as Chameleons are wont to do) which puts him in more danger than had he stayed an anonymous stranger.

At first (judging by the trailers and first few minutes of the movie) I wasn't sure I'd be a fan of the animation style.  It's kind of a kooky CG, but it works well.  Especially well when you consider some of the supporting characters.  The crow, snake, owls, and desert cat were my personal favourites.  It just... worked!  Hawkeye and I often talk about "Mushroom" characters in a story, which are characters that just spring up fully developed and you know who they are.  If there's an animation parallel, this movie has them.

The more I think about this movie, the more I think every aspect was intentional.  The chameleon just wants to blend in.  The turtle takes the long view.  The chicken.. well.. is dumb.  The symbolism is bang-on.  "As long as that sign hangs there, you have hope!" shouts Rango.  Immediately the sign gets shot up, symbolizing Rango and imminent loss of hope.  However later in the movie, Rango finds his calling and we're again shown the sign.  Riddled with bullet holes, but still hanging... mostly.  There's more I could mention, but that would start giving away the movie.

Rango is a family friendly movie with no gruesome scenes or bad language, but not a mindless kid flick.  There's depth if you want to look for it, but the surface is enjoyable enough to leave the brain off if you so choose.

The Good: The animation.  The humour.  The crafting of the story elements.  The music is perfect!
The Bad: The escape from the safe
The Ugly: The apparent immortality of the Armadillo.

I give Rango two thumbs up.  A solid movie with broad appeal.

Attachment: rango_6505.jpeg
Size: 138.36 KB

Currently Reading:Next in Queue:
When Heavens CollideRed Mars - Kim Stanley Robinson
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print Print Thread

Darkshade Forum    General Boards    Reviews  ›  Rango