Darkshade Forum    General Boards    Reviews  ›  Skyline
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

Skyline  This thread currently has 1 views. Print Print Thread
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Danmick
September 4, 2011, 3:47pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Knight
I watched Skyline last night.  I'd like to start by saying: don't waste your time.  In fact, reading the rest of what I have to say about this movie would be allowing it to waste more of your time than it deserves, so I recommend stopping here.

If you insist on continuing to allow this shiny turd to waste your life however, and you haven't seen the movie, I must warn that there will be spoilers; I can't properly explain my disdain for it without talking about some of the events.

First, the plot.  Boiled down to the very basics, it's an "Aliens are taking over the world, beginning with Los Angeles because, really, why wouldn't they want their new home to be the center of the universe?" movie.  These particular aliens drop balls of blue light all over the place, and when humans look at them, their skin becomes kind of veiny, and they become enraptured, compelled to go toward the light (in which case a tractor beam will hoover them into the mothership).  For this reason, the main plan for our group of heroes is to stay put, draw the curtains and hope someone eventually saves them.  There IS an attempt or two to bravely run away, met with abject failure when the only protagonist with a gun gets eaten by an alien, so it's back to locking themselves in their penthouse suite and drawing the curtains so they can hopefully go unnoticed.  Talk about getting the adrenaline going!

One of the few positive points in this movie is that even when the humans look like they're making headway, the reality that they're badly overmatched comes crashing back down on them, rather than resulting in a million people chanting "U-S-A!" and throwing confetti.  In the end, it seems that the aliens want to harvest our brains and spinal cords, to be implanted into alien bodies (a process that takes all of about 20 seconds to produce a fully functional worker alien).  This makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever.  I could accept that they were looking for new vessels to house their brains, prolonging their lives and preserving their knowledge and consciousness, but what benefit do the aliens get from having a bunch of pissed off humans walking around in alien bodies?

There's more, but frankly, I hope for your sake that you haven't read this far anyway.  I'll close by taking a cue from Diddly:

The Good: There was a refreshing breath of despair, instead of having the same old "humanity conquers all" ending.  There were a number of actors that I liked.  The special effects were pretty decent, although the aliens' faces may have looked a bit like vaginas.

The Bad:  A few potential side plots and character conflicts were introduced that really never went anywhere.

The Ugly:  The "Sit tight" aspect of the plot made the movie feel a bit static, despite the flashy stuff happening on screen.  Too many things made no sense, and no attempt was made to explain them.
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message
Diddly
September 6, 2011, 3:52pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
I didn't think Skyline was THAT bad.  Oh it was bad!  Don't get me wrong.  But not bad enough to warrant skipping REVIEWS of the movie.

The ending was just horrid.  If they had stopped with the last heroes getting vacuumed up into the alien vessel, that would have been perfect.  The movie would have been ten times better.  Also, they should have killed one or both of the last survivors with the crashing helicopter.  That's how I would've ended the movie, anyway.

Being shut in during an alien attack isn't a bad premise for a movie.  I found myself shouting at the idiots "Just stay put!" every time one of them got the bright idea to go exploring.  Like Battlefield L.A., if they could survive till the enemy line passed inland, they might be able to escape somewhere.

But you're absolutely right.  The "reason" for the alien invasion was lame lame lame and made no sense.  Yet another reason I would've gone with the ending I recommended, so we wouldn't be privy to such retarded nonsense.

Currently Reading:Next in Queue:
When Heavens CollideRed Mars - Kim Stanley Robinson
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 1 - 4
Danmick
September 7, 2011, 1:14am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Knight
I agree completely that staying put is an excellent strategy when faced with an alien invasion, but it doesn't make for a great action movie.  I may have been a bit harsh overall, and my opinion of the movie may have been influenced by two factors: 1) The fact that I bought it for $20 based on the opinions of others, and 2) Tequila.
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 2 - 4
Diddly
September 7, 2011, 4:39am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Crap.  Was I one of the others?  I'm sorry if I made this movie sound like it was worth $20.  I felt it was worth watching for free, but not $20.

Currently Reading:Next in Queue:
When Heavens CollideRed Mars - Kim Stanley Robinson
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 3 - 4
Danmick
September 7, 2011, 1:26pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Knight
Can't remember who the others were specifically, but I don't blame them anyway.  I should learn not to buy movies that I haven't seen previously myself, unless they were really successful, or met with critical acclaim (and even those cases should be taken with a grain of salt).
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 4 - 4
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print Print Thread

Darkshade Forum    General Boards    Reviews  ›  Skyline