Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Monitor vs TV?
Forum Login
Login Name: Create a new account
Password:     Forgot password

Darkshade Forum    General Boards    General Discussion  ›  Monitor vs TV?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

Monitor vs TV?  This thread currently has 1 views. Print Print Thread
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Shabadu_SMH
November 12, 2011, 2:27pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Hey Diddles, with our new computers, I was looking in to new monitors thinking I might try t use my Sony points to get a Sony monitor that was similar to one of your large wide screen ones.  Only I couldn't find any Sony-brand monitors online.  Which got me to thinking, with the HDMI hookup, I could get a smaller Sony TV and use it.  What is the difference between using a TV and monitor?  I mean I know people CAN use TVs, but I was wondering why monitors are not called TVs.. once upon a time I think the resolution was better, but with the drastic improvements in TV technology, is there a difference these days?
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message
Diddly
November 13, 2011, 3:17pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
With today's advances in LCD/LED TVs, a TV can act as a monitor.  However there are a few things to consider.
1) Resolution.  The best TV is also going to max out at 1080p.  That's usually 1920 x 1080 resolution.  My monitors are 1920 x 1200.  That's slightly more vertical resolution.  Newer monitors can go even higher.
2) Multi-sync.  Monitors can do many different resolutions at different hertz rates.  TVs tend to stick to only a few.  704x480, 1280x720, 1920x1080.  All at 60 hz (NTSC).  Yes, I know TVs advertise up to 240hz refresh rate, but it doesn't mean the input can be that high.
3) 3 15"-17" monitors might be cheaper.  Your new computer can handle up to 3 displays.  You could get significantly more resolution for less than the cost of a big expensive monitor.  You just need the room to arrange them on your desk.

Currently Reading:Next in Queue:
When Heavens CollideRed Mars - Kim Stanley Robinson
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 1 - 1
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print Print Thread

Darkshade Forum    General Boards    General Discussion  ›  Monitor vs TV?