Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

The Avengers  This thread currently has 1 views. Print Print Thread
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Diddly
May 8, 2012, 3:09am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Spoiler free review

Here's a checklist of things you should watch (in order) before The Avengers for maximum enjoyment (including the scenes after the end credits):
  • Iron Man 1 & 2
  • Thor
  • Captain America

You could jump right in, but you'd be missing out on useful back-story.  Notice I didn't mention any Hulk movies.  You won't need any of those.  If you know that Bruce Banner, a scientist, blasted himself with gamma radiation and turns into the rampaging Hulk when angry, then you're covered.

I don't wish to over-hype the movie, but I really feel Joss Whedon has produced the most fun comic book hero movie to date.  The dialog is up to Whedon's usual standard, and the action is superb.  I think he takes the time to imagine "What would I do if I was this super hero in this situation?" instead of "What would be cool to show the fans here?"  There were a few times you could see each character trying to come to grips with their situation.

How was each character?  

Tony Stark (Iron Man) was as insufferable as ever, which made for a lot of levity.  Contrasting well with Steve Rogers (Captain America) who plays the moral centre of the team.  I like that he didn't come off preachy.  I think it largely comes from the fact he asks nothing of anyone that he himself wouldn't do first.

Thor is another of those characters easy to make preachy.  However in this movie, he's more concerned with reconnecting with his brother, Loki, and the consequences of everything from the Thor movie.  Yeah, if you didn't get it from the trailers, Loki is in this movie too.

Natasha Romanova (Black Widow) was great as spy-turned-soldier S.H.I.E.L.D. agent.  I don't know a lot about her character in the comics, but she certainly carries a strength of character, and determination, that allows her to stand on her own among these super humans.

The other normal human is Clint Barton (Hawkeye).  I had to look his name up in Google, since I never really caught it in the movie.  Although he's just "the guy with the bow", he and Black Widow do a remarkable job holding up their end.

This leaves us with Bruce Banner (Hulk).  Easily, this was the best depiction of Hulk in any movie.  The green skinned beast looked the best, acted the best, and best resembled a muscly version of his alter ego.  Even the transformation seemed smoother.  By now Bruce has given up trying to escape The Hulk.  It's a part of him, and his acceptance makes for a much more complete character(s).

Of course, since this movie is about Avengers and S.H.I.E.L.D. we finally get to see Nick Fury get truly involved.  This will only make sense to people who read Erikson, but Nick Fury is very much like Quick Ben.  He has games within games, secrets behind secrets.  You can't trust Nick Fury, but you can trust he has the greater good in mind.

Do I recommend The Avengers?  Absolutely.  Go watch it.  Have fun.  Don't think too hard.  It's a comic book movie.

The Good: No Ant Man or The Wasp
The Bad: It might be impossible, but I wish Captain America's costume was less cheesy
The Ugly: Stupid kids with Green Lantern lights determined to shine them on the movie screen

Attachment: theavengerstrailer_155.jpg
Size: 102.47 KB

Currently Reading:Next in Queue:
When Heavens CollideRed Mars - Kim Stanley Robinson
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message
Diddly
May 9, 2012, 12:37pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Once you've seen the movie, Film Crit Hulk explains why this Hulk has been one of the best Hulks yet.  http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/culture/2012/05/the-hulk-on-mark-ruffalos-hulk.html

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 1 - 7
Shabadu_SMH
May 9, 2012, 8:07pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Well I haven't seen the movie yet, but visually I thought Rufalo was the most Bruce Banner-looking of the three Hulks, so I was hoping he would be a good Hulk to match that.  While Ed Norton was a better Hulk than Eric Bana, neither one really looked the part of Bruce Banner in my opinion.  Regardless, I'm looking forward to seeing the Avengers.
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 2 - 7
Danmick
May 10, 2012, 4:24am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Knight
I dunno, if we were going to change the actors, here's my dream lineup:

Hulk/Banner = Jerry Lewis
Iron Man/Tony Stark = Louie Anderson
Hawkeye = Gilbert Godfrey
Thor = Andy private
Captain America = Gerard Depardu
Black Widow - Melissa McCarthy
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 3 - 7
Shabadu_SMH
May 10, 2012, 4:42am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Worst choice ever for Captain America.. then again, since I don't like the Cap'n, maybe it is a good choice.
Still, the best possible dream lineup for that movie would have to be Andy private playing all the roles, heroes and villains alike.  If Eddie Murphy can do it, surely a powerhouse of talent like Andy private could.  Wait.. if Andy private could pull it off, why not Andrew Dice Clay??!?!  Oh THERE is pure talent waiting for a movie to star in every role!!!
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 4 - 7
Hawkeye
May 10, 2012, 12:46pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Sorry, Dan I still think an undead Bea Arthur would be a great black widow.  And by still, I mean just now.

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 5 - 7
Diddly
May 10, 2012, 1:05pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
You're all crazy.  Eddie Izzard is the only choice for Black Widow.  He's a real movie star, natural red head, and loves to wear tight women's clothing.

Bea Arthur.  Pheh.  She's clearly the Hulk.

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 6 - 7
Diddly
May 31, 2012, 3:19pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
A funny picture depicting the vocabulary of a few characters from The Avengers.  Inspired partly by this Marvel short "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Thor's Hammer"  http://youtu.be/9W6obsc-h5E

Attachment: original_8127.jpg
Size: 94.35 KB

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 7 - 7
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print Print Thread

Darkshade Forum    General Boards    Reviews  ›  The Avengers