Darkshade Forum    General Boards    Reviews  ›  Holy Crepe
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

Holy Crepe  This thread currently has 1 views. Print Print Thread
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Diddly
August 27, 2012, 1:53am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
On Friday danmick and I were enjoying another fantastic meal at Elixir, when I looked out the window and finally noticed a creperie across the street.  I laughed at the name.  "Holy Crepe" it said.

"Yeah, it's been there a while," danmick informed me.  Eager for a decent local creperie, I invited Chicky to try it out with me Saturday morning for breakfast.

That was our first problem.  Holy Crepe doesn't open till 11 am.  But they do serve breakfast crepes.  Just, you have to wait till lunch time to have them.

Like other creperies around, they serve crepes with meat and cheese and eggs.  To me, that's more like a quesadilla.  Neither of us wanted that.  In the past, we had both eaten delicious fruit laden crepes in Old Montreal and were so hoping to re-experience the taste.  The closest things we saw on the menu were the Porche (ordered by Chicky) and the Celine (ordered by me).

Let's talk about price for a moment.  These things are not cheap.  Nearly ten bucks a crepe, and $1.50 a coffee (with $1 charge for every refill, even if your cup was 3/4 full).  The menu suggests you can share a single crepe, and for an additional surcharge ($1) they will cut it in half for you.

Our crepes arrived nice and hot, and folded twice into quarters.  That's unfortunately the only compliment I can give it.  It was hot.  Remember how I mentioned quesadilla?  A Taco Bell chicken quesadilla is thicker than the 4 layers of crepe and filling.  My pear pieces were sliced so thin I thought they were almond shavings you might find on a salad.

The menu states "served with real cream".  So we expected the kind of thick and delicious whipped cream a chef or baker normally uses.  Y'know, something with substance.  I was disappointed to hear the "Pffffft" of a pressurized whip cream can, and even more disappointed to watch as my "real cream" melted to milky water within seconds on the plate.

The flavour was overly eggy.  Chicky said her crepe was even undercooked.  The filling was simply a hint of sweetness, with most of the taste coming from the eggy crepe and whatever was drizzled on top.

Our waitress offered refills on our drinks repeatedly.  I think they should be offering "another" drink, since refills are not free.  It's semantics, yes, but if I hadn't seen I'd be paying extra every time she topped up my coffee, I would've assumed it was free (like most places).

We ate our crepes and left unsatisfied, both by the experience and remaining hunger.  Next time we want crepes, we're going to Conestoga Mall food court.  At least they put a fair amount of fruit in their crepes, and use real cream.

Lesson learned.  If you're in the area and Elixir is open, why aren't you going to Elixir?

The Good: Reviews on the web are unanimously positive about Holy Crepe
The Bad: Those reviewers sadly have never had real crepes, or are from employees/friends
The Ugly: Needing to stop at McD's for a cheeseburger just to feel we ate something.

http://holycrepe1.wix.com/creperie#!bar/c16fk

Attachment: 20_0_2702.jpg
Size: 39.48 KB

Currently Reading:Next in Queue:
When Heavens CollideRed Mars - Kim Stanley Robinson
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print Print Thread

Darkshade Forum    General Boards    Reviews  ›  Holy Crepe