Darkshade Forum    General Boards    General Discussion  ›  Wingmaster Sauces
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

Wingmaster Sauces  This thread currently has 1 views. Print Print Thread
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Diddly
January 17, 2014, 2:41am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Danmick and I went to Wingmaster in Brantford tonight, and we thought it'd be a good idea to start a thread like we did for Ribfest Ribbers.  Because there are so many different flavours, it'd be good to have a place to describe what they were like.  If you add your experience, try to avoid just ranking how much you like a flavour, since we all have different taste preferences.

Tonight we tried:
Buffalo Jerk
Heat: 1/2 flame
Flavour: Strong Jerk flavour with a little kick.

Cajun Bang Dry
Heat: 1 flame
Flavour: Dry wing with a tasty cajun rub.  Reminded me of crispy KFC flavour, but with a little Blair's.
Reheats: Spread the excess spices beneath and on top of the wing before microwaving for nearly fresh taste and texture.  Meat does end up being a little tougher though.

Chip-off-the-ol-block
Heat: 6 flames
Flavour: Awesome chipotle taste, with a building heat (which continues to build even after you finish eating one).  Danmick called it "Blackenstein-lite"
Reheats: The thick sticky sauce on this wing makes for perfect reheating

KC BBQ Hot
Flavour: A hot BBQ sauce that would be amazing on Ribs, Pulled Pork, Chicken, well, pretty much anything.  I would buy a bottle of this if they sold it.
Reheats: Tastes just as good as fresh.  Wing meat ends up being a little tougher.  Combine with Cajun Bang Dry spice for extra awesome!

Mean Caroline
Heat: 2 flame
Flavour: Tomato based sauce.  Looks like a cross between butter chicken and buffalo sauce, but tastes like neither.  Not really sure how to describe this one, but it's one of danmick's favourites.

Also, the Potato Wedges are good there.  But, as we found out, if someone orders Tsunami wings, it gets hard to breathe in there.  (Tsunami and Blackenstein are both 10 flame sauces)

[Edit:]
Oh yeah, for reference, straight Frank's Red Hot sauce is 1 flame on the Wingmaster scale.

http://www.wingmaster.ca/

Currently Reading:Next in Queue:
When Heavens CollideRed Mars - Kim Stanley Robinson
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message
Danmick
January 19, 2014, 9:41am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Knight
I believe the Mean Caroline has similarities to the followig recipe I found online.  I know that the sweet and sour sauce you get with Chinese food contains pineapple and tomato usually; I taste some similar notes in the Mean Caroline sauce, among other things, and according to this recipe it would make sense.  Mean Caroline is smoother than this sauce seems to be, and I don't taste molasses, but the colour is similar. Mean Caroline is a fairly hot sauce though, and I don't see particularly hot ingredients in this sauce.  I suspect Tre (aka The Wingmaster) adds some kind of habanero, or possibly even straight capsaicin, to his own recipe.

http://allrecipes.com/video/242/secret-bbq-sauce/detail.aspx
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 1 - 5
Danmick
January 19, 2014, 9:49am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Knight
And BTW, I forgot about it while we were there, but you can buy some of his sauces separately (I think they're about $2 for 4 ounces, sold in a little styrofoam takeout sauce cup).  He's told me before that he intends to sell bottled versions of some of his popular sauces, but no word on when that will happen.
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 2 - 5
Diddly
January 19, 2014, 3:22pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Oh right!  It was Mean Caroline we had, not Sweet Marie.  I've fixed my first post.

Another thing worth mentioning is how well these wings reheated.  I was really surprised how great they were after a quick microwaving.

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 3 - 5
Shabadu_SMH
January 20, 2014, 8:01pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Mean Caroline is probably my favourite sauce, along with Double Creamy Dill.  Regardless of what the wife and I order, we usually include those two flavours in the mix.  They both make FANTASTIC sauces for either dipping or cooking on other dishes once the wings are long gone
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 4 - 5
Diddly
March 7, 2015, 4:13pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Chicky and I went to Wingmaster last night and ordered a few favourites and a couple new flavours:

Jerk Me Sweetly
Heat: 1/2 flame
Flavour: A delicious combination of honey and jerk in a thick sticky sauce.  One of my new favourites!

Louisiana Butter Sauce
Flavour: A nice (relatively) mild buffalo sauce.  Not bad, but not exceptional.

Chicky's ranking:
1) Cajun Bang Dry
2) Jerk Me Sweetly
Don't Care) KC BBQ Hot, Louisiana Butter Sauce
Keep it away from me!) Chip-off-the-ol-block

I think he gave an extra kick to Chip-off-the-old-block this time, cuz it was hotter than I remember!  Thank goodness there was some Sour Cream among our dipping sauces!

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 5 - 5
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print Print Thread

Darkshade Forum    General Boards    General Discussion  ›  Wingmaster Sauces