Please login or register.
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game
Forum Login
Login Name: Create a new account
Password:     Forgot password

Darkshade Forum    General Boards    Reviews  ›  Pathfinder Adventure Card Game
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game  This thread currently has 1 views. Print Print Thread
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Diddly
March 5, 2014, 4:52am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
At the age of 42, Ezren discovered his arcane talents.  However because of his age, no wizard would mentor him.  Instead Ezren strikes out on his own to see the world and learn spells and the ways of magic, relying on precious little beyond his own intellect.

This is the character I've started playing in Pathfinder Adventure Card Game.  Unlike most card games, with Pathfinder you keep your character between sessions.  You grow him or her, slowly advancing their skills and acquiring new spells, items, and allies.  Each character maintains their own deck of cards, and as they complete adventures, they acquire better cards, which in turn makes them more effective characters.

Also unlike most card games, Pathfinder is a true RPG.  Each time you play will be a predefined scenario.  Scenarios can be one-off adventures, or series of scenarios can make up an adventure path.  The game automatically adjusts for the number of players, between 1 and 4 (or 6 if you have the Character expansion).  A single player RPG?  Yup.  The rules and card effects take the place of a Dungeon Master.

Ezren almost had a very short career.  I played a solo game tonight, in which an alchemist had placed poisoned traps throughout the city.  Among multiple locations, I had to find and disarm the traps, and corner and defeat the alchemist, all the while encountering monsters and barriers on the way.  Now it wasn't all bad.  There were also weapons, allies, spells, and blessings to find.  But in the course of the game Ezren came to within a single card of his demise.  You see, a characters deck is their "life".  When it runs out, and there's no more cards to draw, they are essentially dead.  Luckily I had found a Blessing of healing, and managed to return 4 random cards to Ezren's deck.  This was enough, along with some lucky dice rolls, to finish the scenario.

This game is great.  I felt the stress of combat, without having to sit through numerous "rounds" of attacks.  I felt the joy of discovering useful items.  I felt the bitterness of passing over cool equipment and spells in an effort to complete the scenario without dying.  I'm definitely looking forward to playing this with my friends.

The Good: Persistent characters.  STORY!  Lots and lots of replay value.  Cooperative game, with possible solo play.
The Bad: The Base Set comes with a few one-off scenarios and part 1 of the Rise of the Runelords adventure.  Each expansion adds more parts, and more price.
The Ugly: Instead of directly marking up the character cards, I use plastic sleeves and a sharpie.

Thanks Shabadu for pointing out this game to me!

Attachment: pathfinderadventurecardgameezren_3944.jpg
Size: 137.26 KB

Currently Reading:Next in Queue:
When Heavens CollideRed Mars - Kim Stanley Robinson
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message
Diddly
March 7, 2014, 3:02pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Emboldened by his success at capturing Pillbug Podiker single-handedly, Ezren decided to take care of the Bandit problem in the woods.  Unfortunately, Bandits were the least of his problems.

While trying to lock up a farmhouse, Ezren was ambushed by a Zombie Giant!  He used his most powerful spell on hand, Force Missile, but because he was surprised by the ambush the effect was dampened.  The Zombie Giant clocked Ezren and then lumbered off elsewhere in the house while Ezren regained his senses.

Next room, Zombie Giant ambushed him again!!  This time Ezren had no spell ready, so was forced to use his quarterstaff.  Not being a fighter, the attack was pathetic and Ezren lost everything he had been holding onto.  The Zombie Giant lumbered off again, laughing.

There were still two other locations Ezren had to seal off to capture the bandit leader, but he'd eventually have to deal with this farmhouse anyway.  This time he was able to prep his most combat-ready combos and went looking for that giant.  Next room, found him!  No ambush this time.  Ezren was able to finally banish that giant and get a step closer to closing down the farmhouse.

Dangerously low on health, Ezren cleared out the rest of the farmhouse and attempted to close it permanently.  There was just one last creature to eradicate.  It could literally be anything.  Ezren rounds the corner and...  FRIGGIN HELL!  Zombie Giant AGAIN!

Sadly it was too much for poor Ezren, and the Zombie Giant got the last laugh.  May that inexperienced old mage rest in piece.  Perhaps his twin brother, equally adept at the arcane arts, will take up his banner and his name.

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 1 - 3
Diddly
May 27, 2014, 1:04pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Before we next play Pathfinder again, I feel there's a rule that has to be made clear.  This is from the game designer himself:
Quoted Text

Mike Selinker Pathfinder Adventure Card Game Designer      Dec 28, 2013, 12:47 AM
No, you must draw your entire hand size. If you are playing Seoni, and you have no cards in hand, you must draw six cards during your reset step. If you can't draw all six, you die. Try not to do that.

Source:http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2qi0w?Recharging-Spell-Card-for-Seoni-and-Others

Hopefully that puts the argument to bed.

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 2 - 3
Hawkeye
May 29, 2014, 12:20pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
It does, but the fact that he had to clear that up meant he didn't write the rule clearly enough in the original rulebook.  I will abide by the rule.  However, I still maintain that a character who only has 3 cards left to draw essentially should have a last gasp at trying to live and that the 'next' turn they would die as they have no cards to draw.  Think of it as bleeding out over the course of the round.  Though to be fair, the question the player raises in that link is different from what I suggest.  I would surmise as soon as you use your last card in your hand and have no other cards in your stock pile you're dead.  But, this is all academic.

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 3 - 3
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print Print Thread

Darkshade Forum    General Boards    Reviews  ›  Pathfinder Adventure Card Game