Darkshade Forum    General Boards    Reviews  ›  Killjoys and Dark Matter
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

Killjoys and Dark Matter  This thread currently has 1 views. Print Print Thread
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Diddly
July 8, 2015, 8:47pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Two new science fiction space shows started recently: Killjoys and Dark Matter.  Since both started around the same time, and I've been watching both, I'll review them together too!

Killjoys

This is a show about a team of bounty hunters in space.  The profession is known as "Killjoys" for some reason, and the organization is an autonomous entity that ultimately answers to nobody.  Galactic law gives them special consideration, and they sell their services to whomever can pay for a warrant.  Some killjoy will accept the warrant and fetch the person or item and do with it whatever the warrant stipulates (eg, dead vs alive).

io9 called this show "most excellent" and so I started watching it.  http://io9.com/killjoys-really-is-a-most-excellent-space-adventure-sho-1712643138

I am inclined to disagree with their assessment.  I found it cliche and unsteady.  It seemed characters were badass when it seemed cool to be so, and irritatingly pathetic when the plot required it.  I won't be watching any more, unless somebody convinces me it gets a lot better.

The Good: Tries to kick the damsel in distress trope by having the team's leader be a badass woman.
The Bad: Tries too hard
The Ugly: Just doesn't seem to mesh right

Dark Matter

I did not intend to pick up this series, but since I was already starting a new sci fi series, I thought a head-to-head might be interesting.

A ship of six people wake up from stasis with no idea who they are, where they're going, or even what they were supposed to do when they got there.

It sounded like "Lost" in space to me.  I never liked "Lost".  I didn't want to like this show.

I like this show!

I can't say too much because this show is all about self-discovery, and revealing plot points would also reveal what they learn about themselves.  What I will say is there's plenty of mystery, plenty of surprises, and they pace it out in a sensible fashion.  It's not a high-brow show... it's just fun.  A little cheese in the right place.  It reminds me a lot of Stargate SG-1 in that regard.

The Good: Enjoyable characters.  Don't know where the story is going.  Kicks tropes without effort.
The Bad: I can't talk about the show except with people who've already seen the show!
The Ugly: Unlike Stargate, which you could pick up at any time, this show feels like it needs to be watched from the beginning.

Update: Go figure, Dark Matter is actually by one of the Executive Producers of Stargate.  No wonder I like it!

Attachment: dark_matter_cast_5605.jpg
Size: 51.41 KB

Currently Reading:Next in Queue:
When Heavens CollideRed Mars - Kim Stanley Robinson
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print Print Thread

Darkshade Forum    General Boards    Reviews  ›  Killjoys and Dark Matter