Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
John Wick 2
Forum Login
Login Name: Create a new account
Password:     Forgot password

Darkshade Forum    General Boards    Had I Written...  ›  John Wick 2 Moderators: Diddly
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

John Wick 2  This thread currently has 1 views. Print Print Thread
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Diddly
March 2, 2017, 2:35pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Board Moderator
John Wick was a great movie.  John Wick 2, less so.  It's still enjoyable, but I think one very simple line change could have made a significant improvement.

In the bar, when John was drinking with Cassian, and John explains why he did what he did, we get this exchange (paraphrased because I don't remember the exact quotes):
Cassian: I see.  You had no choice.
John: Right
Cassian: Well, I still have to kill you.  You know how it is, an eye for eye.  I'll make it a quick death.
John: Thank you.  I'll try to do the same.

An eye for an eye??  In a league of assassins?  Nope sorry I don't buy it.  If Cassian was to go after the person who ordered the death maybe, but to revenge against the tool that did the job?  He's ONE of them!  He KNOWS he has no choice in the matter.  This entire subplot can be fixed with one simple line.
Cassian: I see.  You had no choice.
John: Right
Cassian (pained): Well, I don't care.  I'll make it a quick death.
John: Thank you.  I'll try to do the same.

This then serves dual purpose.  Cassian's actions are then tied to his emotions, not some assassin code (that seems counter-productive).  Further, his disregard for the rules of the job (as John had no choice) can act as a foreshadowing of John's later actions.

One line, better movie.

Currently Reading:Next in Queue:
When Heavens CollideRed Mars - Kim Stanley Robinson
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print Print Thread

Darkshade Forum    General Boards    Had I Written...  ›  John Wick 2