Print Topic - Archive

Darkshade Forum  /  General Discussion  /  New Message System
Posted by: Trarman (Guest), December 13, 2005, 5:09am
What's this?   :o

Yes!  It's a new message system for Darkshade.  We need some suggestions for message boards.
Posted by: Trarman (Guest), December 13, 2005, 5:31am; Reply: 1
Oh yeah, by the way, email notification probably won't work.  So if you try to send emails from this system, prepare to wait a long time.  ;)
Posted by: Hawkeye, December 15, 2005, 1:15pm; Reply: 2
Does the email notification work?
Posted by: Trarman (Guest), December 15, 2005, 1:23pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from Hawkeye
Does the email notification work?

No, email definitely does not work.
Posted by: Hawkeye, December 15, 2005, 7:06pm; Reply: 4
Well regardless of whether or not the email system works, I do believe this is a step up from the previous version.
Posted by: Trarman (Guest), December 15, 2005, 9:02pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from Hawkeye
Well regardless of whether or not the email system works, I do believe this is a step up from the previous version.

I agree.  Email notification ain't a big deal anyway.  You just check the site regularly like in the old BBS days.  ;)
Posted by: Hawkeye, December 16, 2005, 11:48am; Reply: 6
I think the message clock is a little wrong!  How could you have let us down like that!
:P
Posted by: Hawkeye, December 22, 2005, 12:31pm; Reply: 7
So you decided to remove the login sequence.  Why?  For greater ease?
Posted by: Trarman (Guest), December 22, 2005, 3:17pm; Reply: 8
1) All timestamps are stored in GMT.  If you want to see times relative to another time zone (eg. Eastern Time), you can set that in your Member Settings.

2) The login sequence is still there.  If you were automatically signed in as Hawkeye it means either a) you didn't log out, so for a limited time anybody using that computer can be you, or b) you clicked "Remember Me" last time you logged in, so until you empty your cookie cache in the browser you will always be automatically logged in as Hawkeye from that computer.
Posted by: Hawkeye, December 22, 2005, 4:39pm; Reply: 9
Yeah I see that now as I am at work.  That's cool.  At home then I don't have to log in.  I like it.
Posted by: 2 (Guest), December 23, 2005, 2:48am; Reply: 10
I really like this new message system.  It is very user-friendly.  It has buttons all around that you can choose, allows you to see things and find things the way you want to.  I like it.  Chubs.
Posted by: Trarman (Guest), December 30, 2005, 2:10pm; Reply: 11
What prompted the username of "Chubs"?  Is that because you call your little baby that?
Posted by: Chiquita, January 18, 2006, 11:45pm; Reply: 12
New message system seems cool.

1) why can't we opinion poll?
2) what is blah?
Posted by: Trarman (Guest), January 22, 2006, 3:57am; Reply: 13
Thanks for bringing that to my attention!  I've now enabled polls in this, the General Discussion board.

Blah is the name (actually, E-Blah) that the author decided to use for this forum software.  I don't know why, but that's his/her choice.
Posted by: Hawkeye, February 21, 2006, 8:29pm; Reply: 14
I bet they thought they were being smart.  Like a smart-alec or a smart-a s s, or smarty-pants or a, a... i ran outta smart things to say...
Posted by: Shabadu_SMH, February 23, 2006, 6:20pm; Reply: 15
Wow Hawkeye, your list of smart-a** comments was shorter than.. well.. shorter than.. uhmm.. apparently shorter than my list of smart a** things to say.

Dammit :(
Posted by: Hawkeye, March 5, 2006, 4:03pm; Reply: 16
Hey Trarman we need to change the titles of members.  Minimum member, medium member sounds so dull.. I vote for Newcomer, Jester, Squire, Knight, Lord etc... of course mine would always be Emperor... :)
Posted by: Trarman (Guest), March 5, 2006, 4:26pm; Reply: 17
Done, except the "you being Emperor" part, of course.  :)
Posted by: Hawkeye, March 6, 2006, 6:38am; Reply: 18
Nice, peasant is so much better than newcomer.  Still think I should be emperor though.
Posted by: Shabadu_SMH, March 6, 2006, 8:13am; Reply: 19
Hawkeye, you could never be emporer.. After all Diddle is the Evil Floating Head of Chaddliness.. and who better than an evil floating head to be emporer.
Posted by: Shabadu_SMH, March 6, 2006, 8:14am; Reply: 20
Emporer - wow my speeling getz gooder and godder all the tiem!
Posted by: Trarman (Guest), March 6, 2006, 12:49pm; Reply: 21
Hmm..  looks like ever since I virtualised this server (the web server is on a virtual machine, being hosted by the wow server) the posting times seem a little screwy.  For instance, I doubt Hawkeye was really posting at 5:45 am this morning.
Posted by: Hawkeye, March 6, 2006, 1:03pm; Reply: 22
I thought I told you the times were off a long time ago.  Anyway, it was actually 3:12 this morning when I posted that from work.
Posted by: Trarman (Guest), March 6, 2006, 2:06pm; Reply: 23
Yes, but long ago the times were correct and you just had your timezone set wrong in your preferences.  Now all the times are off because the virtual server doesn't appear to have a well tuned clock.
Posted by: Shabadu_SMH, March 7, 2006, 10:20am; Reply: 24
Great.. computers that are inaccurate.. I know they say computers are slowing replacing people in many industries, but I suppose this is what happens when computer unions start to take over too.. "to err is human and computers are now replacing people, ergo we too are allowed to err.. ha ha ha.. ho ho ho"

Damn machines.. gotta ruin everything by being too perfect or being too human.. damn them!

Sorry, its been a long freakin day and I'm ready to leave work now... yes sirs, that white jacket IS comfy.. but why do the sleeves go around the back.. HEY.. HEY!!!!...
Posted by: Hawkeye, March 12, 2006, 3:01pm; Reply: 25
Well, the power outage of august 04 (or was it 03) proves how reliant we are on computers... but more specifically electricity.  If I were rich enough to build a custom house I would build it with geothermal heating/cooling and solar panels so it would be off the grid, or at least not rely on the grid for electricity.
Posted by: Trarman (Guest), March 12, 2006, 9:11pm; Reply: 26
I think that blackout just proved how LAME people were.  All I heard the next day was "Oh I couldn't watch TV".  So read a book (until it got dark anyway), or play outside, or god forbid, have a conversation.

The number of people who didn't understand how intersections work when the lights are out was atrocious.
Posted by: Shabadu_SMH, March 13, 2006, 3:15pm; Reply: 27
Yah - but for me I was stuck at the Ottawa airport... you want havoc, man are people stupid when something like this happens... the whole airport was just nuts... luckily for me the producer I was with (we were in Ottawa shooting a video.. no not a music video) had the common sense to go to the car rental desk and reserve a car immediately (we waited 2 hours to finally get told the flight was permanently delayed still) but when all flights finally WERE permenantly delayed we had a car available for us to drive back in.  Thank god because the next day or so Diddles and I were off on our Eastern Canada trek!
Posted by: Hawkeye, March 14, 2006, 9:55am; Reply: 28
That was two years ago Shabadu!!!  Stop living in the past!  :)
Posted by: Shabadu_SMH, March 14, 2006, 8:39pm; Reply: 29
Only two years ago?  I think it was 3 now, wasn't it?
Posted by: Hawkeye, March 24, 2006, 9:38pm; Reply: 30
It's really none of your business!
Posted by: Shabadu_SMH, March 27, 2006, 4:27pm; Reply: 31
Oh I think it IS my business.  If I'm going to live in the past it better be my business cause sometimes people need to learn from the past and if I'm living there I can turn a profit by teaching yesterday's/yesterdayyear's lessons today.. thereby helping people avoid the pitfalls of 2-3 years ago.
Posted by: Hawkeye, March 27, 2006, 6:08pm; Reply: 32
You probably could market that on late night tv.  All the insomniacs will be calling for lessons on how to sleep last year.
Posted by: Shabadu_SMH, March 28, 2006, 8:19pm; Reply: 33
Yah I can't disagree that there are always dumb people willing to buy crap from TV or somewhere else.  You and I wouldn't have jobs if it weren't for people's willingness to buy stuff that they really shouldn't need...
Posted by: Hawkeye, March 28, 2006, 8:45pm; Reply: 34
Oh I don't know with the lawsuits flying around people do need insurance... Just ask Trarman if he's glad he has home insurance.
Posted by: Shabadu_SMH, March 29, 2006, 3:38am; Reply: 35
Sweet.. the dream to slowly and inexorably become the next United State is happening!  Next we should all get lawyers on retainer just in case we have the weekly need to sue one another every Tuesday because there isn't anything good on TV that night!
Posted by: Hawkeye, April 10, 2006, 8:36pm; Reply: 36
Unfortunately that does seem to be the case.  Superfluous lawsuits need to be curtailed.  And of course the only way to do that is???? more laws!
Posted by: Chiquita, April 11, 2006, 10:38pm; Reply: 37
It seems to me that the insurance industry in the US and to some extent Canada has promoted the lawsuit mentality...

Posted by: Chiquita, April 11, 2006, 10:42pm; Reply: 38
and why not put aside your desires for shopping channel glory, stop living in the past and come up with an outing..a good outing....a great outing!!
Posted by: Shabadu_SMH, April 12, 2006, 2:58pm; Reply: 39
Hmmm, a good outing, huh?
How about a trip up to the farm Hawkeye?
A weekend (or maybe long weekend) away?  Campfires and drinking?
Or we could see if Kyle's cottage was possibley available?

Any interest?  As the non-coupled member of the group here I probably have the most flexible schedule, so let me know if this is something you guys would be interested in?
Posted by: Hawkeye, April 20, 2006, 12:42pm; Reply: 40
Speaking of law suits etc..  Will Rogers when he found out in 1930's that there were more students studying law than lawyers practicing it he said, it's gonna take an awful lot of crime to support those fellows.  I would tend to think the more lawyers the more lawsuits. etc...
Posted by: Shabadu_SMH, April 20, 2006, 3:17pm; Reply: 41
Wow the skillfully clumsy way Hawkeye just blundered past the question directed right at him was brilliant.  Luckily for me I studied at the school of misdirection and noticed his bumbling trip that crashed headlong like the proverbial bull in a china shop. :P

So again I pose the question to Hawk, would we be able to go to the farm if there was a group interest?

But the question was also directed to everyone (including Chiquitta!!) - would we be interested in doing something like this?  I mean if there is no interest, fine, I'll drop it, but I'd certainly be interested in having a long weekend away with you guys again.. its been forever and ever since we did something like this...
Posted by: Hawkeye, April 20, 2006, 5:02pm; Reply: 42
And you know the other thing about lawyers which many don't like.  Is that we have to pay money into the lawyer association!!! when we buy a house. WTF!  The lawyers association does nothing with regard to home purchases!
Posted by: Hawkeye, April 20, 2006, 5:12pm; Reply: 43
With regard to the farm, Amanda and I are thinking of potentially heading up sometime around early part of may.  But, the scheduling is proving to be an issue.
Posted by: Shabadu_SMH, April 20, 2006, 11:02pm; Reply: 44
If you could hold off until after May 17 I would be available to take a little time off (or just join you for a weekend).  I have a series of meetings starting next week that brings me to Sudbury, Ottawa, 2 locations across Toronto and London every week so I will be unable to take any time off until after the last one in London on the 17.

So if your scheduling proves to be accomodatable to mid-late month and I was invited I'd be interested.  Trarsy and Chiqy - you two innerested?
Posted by: Hawkeye, April 21, 2006, 3:25pm; Reply: 45
Unfortunately, thate would be too late.  Amanda goes back to work on the 17th.
Posted by: Shabadu_SMH, April 23, 2006, 2:22pm; Reply: 46
Damn damn damn... huh.. well I saw Kyle and MB this weekend and Kyle and I talked about trying to set up a fishing trip weekend.. dunno when or where or if it will fly but if you guys aere interested I can keep you posted on that.  It would likely be a guys weekend and there is no saying you HAVE to fish.. probably go somewhere with a cottage where boat rental is included in the price.. likely later in the summer knowing how quickly we get people to agree to stuff...

Anyhow, if that interestes either of you, let me know.
Posted by: Hawkeye, April 24, 2006, 12:14pm; Reply: 47
Depends on when.
Posted by: Shabadu_SMH, April 25, 2006, 2:33am; Reply: 48
At this point, with the time frame neceassary to plan in advance with the married couples it will likely be some time in August would be my guess.

Oh and remember late June we always do a Amanda/Joe B-day party.  I'm hoping Trarman's place is available (yes that is me asking Trarman)... lemme know if your place is available for a BBQ late in June.. if not I will start looking elsewhere.
Posted by: Hawkeye, April 25, 2006, 4:58pm; Reply: 49
By then Trarman will have the machine gun nests fully installed and automated, and the bear pits will be populated accordingly.
Posted by: Hawkeye, April 26, 2006, 6:05pm; Reply: 50
Hey Trarman, does this message base system allow for instant messaging when two or more members are online at the same time?  like yahoo messanger and the like?
Posted by: Trarman (Guest), April 26, 2006, 6:28pm; Reply: 51
I wish it did, but it does not.

I'm fine with the June BBQ at my place.  June 24th cool?
Posted by: Hawkeye, April 26, 2006, 7:47pm; Reply: 52
Sounds fine to me...
Posted by: Shabadu_SMH, April 27, 2006, 1:45am; Reply: 53
ISn't the 24th the weekend of Father's Day?
Either way I'm fine with it, just before all you "normal family" people go and commit a national parental holiday and all ;)
Posted by: Hawkeye, April 27, 2006, 12:24pm; Reply: 54
Father's day is on june 18th.  Little Chubs is getting me a Sony Bravia 40 inch lcd HDready TV.
Posted by: Trarman (Guest), April 27, 2006, 2:07pm; Reply: 55
Okay, change of venue then.  BBQ at Hawkeye's.  :)
Posted by: Shabadu_SMH, April 27, 2006, 2:59pm; Reply: 56
Let me know where - I will probably send out an invite sooner than later to give everyone a heads up.  And when I say everyone I MEAN it.. we have lists and lists of people here at work, I can probably get somewhere in the neighbourhood of a couple million addresses if I infiltrate the right systems and have no problems breaking the law regarding the privacy act.

Which one of your places will accomodate 3.2 million people better?
Posted by: Hawkeye, April 27, 2006, 3:04pm; Reply: 57
Oh I forgot to add to my previous email... "as long as big chubs doesn't see it."  Otherwise I will take the heat for the purchase... which is not fair if the little one is purchasing it... :)
Posted by: Shabadu_SMH, May 3, 2006, 5:36pm; Reply: 58
So just to confirm here then, we will get together at Trarman's on June 24, sometime mid-afternoon?

I'll draft an email up sometime this month if that's alright by you Trarsy.
Print page generated: May 19, 2024, 10:21pm