Print Topic - Archive

Darkshade Forum  /  General Discussion  /  Board Games to play
Posted by: Diddly, April 26, 2012, 5:53pm
I'd like to start a thread about board games.  There seems to be a lot worth trying, so rather than forget, documenting them here sounds good.  Feel free to add to the list, with reasons why the game sounds interesting.

The Resistance
5-10 players
Some players are double agents, and the rest have to figure out who they are, while the double agents do their best to prevent being revealed.

Catacombs
2-5 players
Seems like HeroQuest meets crokinole

Fury of Dracula
2-5 players
One player is Dracula, everyone else hunts him.  Drac is invisible on the board and just leaves a trail of victims.

Cyclades
2-5 players
What you can do depends on which god (Zeus, Poseidon, Athena, and Ares) accepts your offerings.  Of course each god can only bless the most generous player per turn.

Space Alert
1-5 players
Your ship jumps into a hostile area, scans for 10 frantic minutes, then (hopefully) jumps out.  The players are the crew, working together to survive those 10 minutes.  After the 10 minutes elapses, the choice of actions is reviewed to see if you ACTUALLY survived the onslaught.
Posted by: Shabadu_SMH, June 9, 2012, 5:47am; Reply: 1
On my drive home I determined that Game of Thrones was pretty fun..
I was just having sour grapes over losing everything in round 4 or 5 when I was close to grasping a victory.. and not because of random battle, no I lost EVERY single major decision (battle or otherwise) based on the whim of the person who controlled the sword or the throne.  I get the WHY of that being in the game, but I don't really like that part of the game.  There is very little "random element" to the game, which is something I prefer, especially in combat because it puts things less out of favour for those who are strategically impaired ;)
So as I began this message, I did have fun playing, but given a choice between GoT, the Zombie game and Small World... I would choose Zombies first, Small World second and GoT last.  The warning is apt, not that I felt "picked on" in GoT (all the bad luck was poor resource management (i.e. not owning the throne or the damnable sword), but as Hawkeye implied, it definitely left me feeling like that damned whore Roz from the TV version of GoT :(
Posted by: Hawkeye, June 9, 2012, 1:54pm; Reply: 2
I think Shabadu, not knowing the full importance of the three influence tracks is a major hinderance.  The next time we play it will be smoother as you will be more familiar with the game.  As for the 'arbitraryness' or whims of the influence holders, it mirrors the books where backstabing, jockeying for control, fighting and influence pedding are the norm.  

The next time we play, before we start take a look at all of the house cards.  And again we'll do random house selection.  And we haven't incorporated other random cards that can affect the game.  Playing the game involves taking gambles.  And the next time you'll be more familiar with the consequences of those gambles.

It will be more fun. I promise and you'll get just as big a kick outta screwing me or Diddly over in a battle or decision as we do.
Posted by: Shabadu_SMH, June 10, 2012, 6:43am; Reply: 3
Sure, I don't deny the PURPOSES of the influence tracks and my lack of comprehension of just how important any of them were until after the consequences were dire (to my specific situation).
I'm sure I will play again, my point was in pointing out why "strategic" or "tactical" games are less to my fancy than games of chance, such as the Zombie game where strategy IS important, but chance plays an equal factor and some one who doesn't have the patience (or possibly the attention span) to strategize that far down the line, still maintains a possible chance of winning without planning out 14 moves in advance.  I CAN plan that far, I just know I won't, so if the game relies on that, there is a slim (or non-existant) chance of me winning.  And if there is no chance of winning, the game naturally loses a lot of appeal to me.  I'm just not into strategy games like you and Diddley.. similarly, you try out games such as City of Heroes but don't really come back often or for long because they don't really suit your style of gaming.  RPGs are my style of gaming - hell I would love to be playing D&D or Warhammer with you guys - but that isn't really your style or Diddley's to a large extent either... its unfortunate but my style of game (either video game or role playing game) isn't as much to either of your liking because I'd be into playing them a lot more than I would any strategic board game.  They don't hold a lot of interest for me and that's the reason I seldom volunteer to play them with you guys.  It doesn't help that the two of you are much better than me (probably the reason I often (although not even remotely in GoT) feel like I'm being ganged up on).
As I said, I am up for trying it again, it WAS interesting and knowing what I know now will affect how I try to play next round... but it isn't something I am likely to want to play regularly every time we get together...
;)
Posted by: Diddly, June 10, 2012, 1:59pm; Reply: 4
I hear a lot of moaning from the guy who almost won, and certainly didn't end up in last place!  :)

We'll play something else next time, so that you can recover from your grievous case of not winning.  :)

Seriously though, I think you make a good point Shabsy, comparing GoT to CoH for Hawkeye.  That's a perfect analogy.
Posted by: Shabadu_SMH, June 11, 2012, 12:49pm; Reply: 5
I admitted in my first response that some of my bitching was definitely sour grapes on my part for losing when I thought I was in such a good spot to win ;)  Another part of it is me, I have a natural capacity to complain (as I've said before and will say again, if I'm NOT complaining, please check me for a pulse ;)  
But amidst  the complaining I was also trying to make the point that my preference when playing a long, involved game is something that permits us to work together, not against one another.  True enough that you CAN work together in GoT, but under the constant threat that you will be betrayed or backstabbed when it is most convenient to the person holding a knife to your back.  While it is true that RPGs also contain a healthy degree of in-it-for-just-me'ed-ness, but they also involve more direct comradary because there is a large degree of its-better-to-have-others-watching-my-back-too-ed'ness.
It's just a preference of mine, like Hawkeye's for begetting daughters instead of sons ;)
Posted by: Diddly, July 29, 2012, 1:55pm; Reply: 6
Zombie Fluxx
2-6 Players
Fluxx, and Zombie Fluxx, are both award winning card games which start with 1 basic rule: Draw 1 card, Play 1 card.  The cards you play may change those rules, change the victory condition for the game, screw with your opponents, or Keepers to bring you closer to winning.  Zombie Fluxx adds Creepers and Un-goals which prevent you from winning.

Back to the Future: The Card Game
2-6 Players
History is laid out before you as events on cards.  You play one of the descendants of the characters from the movies, and must go back in time to change those events according to your timeline, and then prevent Doc Brown from inventing the time machine (so that those events become fixed), or else you will cease to exist.  Note, your opponents are trying to change the same timeline to benefit themselves.
Posted by: Diddly, August 30, 2012, 6:57pm; Reply: 7
It's not a board game, but still requires a number of people in the same room to play it.  It's called Artemis, and hooks up several computers to simulate the bridge of a starship.  Watch this video to get an idea of how it plays: http://youtu.be/V9Q2X32hZNk

I can just picture our group trying desperately (and likely doing as well as the folks in the video) to blow stuff up.

Big question, of course, is who gets to be Captain?  :)
Posted by: Diddly, November 26, 2012, 6:26pm; Reply: 8
Cards Against Humanity
3+ Players
It's a game for twisted minds, which is perfect for us.  Like Apples to Apples, players have to fill in the blanks with cards from their hand.  Unlike Apples to Apples, I don't despise this game.  Endorsed by Wil Wheaton as "Best. Game. Ever."

Only in a game like this could you make a phrase like:"During sex, I like to think about Stalin."

Available at the website: http://www.cardsagainsthumanity.com/  You can buy the game for $25, or download it free to print it out yourself.

I've copied the PDFs to Darkshade as well.
The Official Rules: http://darkshade.homeip.net/stuff/cards_against_humanity/CAH_Rules.pdf
The Main Game: http://darkshade.homeip.net/stuff/cards_against_humanity/CAH_MainGame.pdf
Posted by: Diddly, March 5, 2013, 3:53pm; Reply: 9
The Dwarf King
3 - 5 Players
It's a trick taking game (like Euchre) but with crazy per-hand rules that change the point values for tricks, or how tricks are won.  At the end of 7 hands, the person with the most points (which might even be in the negatives!) wins.

Hey!  That's my fish!
2-4 Players
An extremely easy game to learn.  Place your penguins on the randomly arranged tiles.  On your turn, one of your penguins can move as far as you want in any one direction, but you can't jump gaps or another penguin.  Take the tile you started on for yourself.  At the end of the game, the person with the most fish on their tiles wins.  Easy!  But strategically intense.

Legendary: A Marvel Deck-Building Game
1-5 Players
I am generally not a fan of deck-building games (think Magic: The Gathering), but this one is exceptional.
Posted by: Diddly, December 17, 2013, 3:13pm; Reply: 10
No Thanks
3-5 Players
A light card game for non-gaming family and friends.  Reminds me of Hearts, but more heavily focused on dumping cards on your opponents.  Apparently very easy to teach, but fun to play.

Jamaica
2-6 Players
Another non-gaming family game.  Race your pirate ship around the island, collecting treasure and pillaging your opponents.  Played it.  Enjoyed it.  Will be using it in place of Monopoly for family this holiday.   :)

Summoner Wars: any 2 army set
2 Players
Repeatedly appearing in Dice Tower's Top 10 lists, a self-contained 2 army set of Summoner Wars will let you try out the game without investing much.  Seems to be a card game with battle dice.

Forbidden Island
2-4 Players
An award winning cooperative game that apparently goes for pretty cheap these days.
Posted by: Diddly, December 21, 2013, 4:34am; Reply: 11
Bang!  The Dice Game
3-8 players
There's a sheriff, one or more deputies, one or more outlaws, and one or more renegades.  Each player is something, but the only one everyone knows is the sheriff.  Roll dice as in Yahtzee, to determine who you can shoot, how much, or if you get hit with arrows, heal, or have dynamite blow up in your face.  It sounds fast and fun, and easy to play.

Cheaty Mages
2-5 players
Card game where players bet on random arena combatants.  Players "cast" spells using their own cards to help their pick(s), or hinder others.  But if a random judge card decides to disqualify a combatant for too much cheating, it could cost you the game.  Oh, and you can cast spells on the judge too.  :)

Super Fantasy Ugly Snouts Assault
2-6 Players
Like Heroquest in that you have tiles to build a dungeon, enemies to fight, and treasure to loot.  Unlike Heroquest in that your characters are already made up for you, have really cool upgrade mechanics, and a very clever turn mechanic.  Instead of one move, one action, or whatever, you have six dice.  Use them however you want.  If you want to move three times and fight three times, that's cool.  Or if you want to use up all six dice on one massive attack, that works too!
Posted by: Diddly, January 22, 2014, 6:16pm; Reply: 12
Chaosmos
2-4 Players
The universe is collapsing, and whomever ends up with the Ovoid at the end of the game saves their race.  It's mostly a card game with a fixed number of turns, and players move from planet to planet searching for the Ovoid, or hiding it from others.  Each planet has its own envelope of cards, accessible to whomever controls the planet, but the stash may be protected by a trap from a previous visitor.  It's the ultimate game of keep-away.
Posted by: Shabadu_SMH, January 22, 2014, 6:50pm; Reply: 13
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game
1-4 Players
A forgotten evil stirs in the ancient land of Varisia. Dark magic once more thrums amid crumbling ruins, giants gather in titanic armies, cultists murder in the name of foul deities, and maniacal goblins plot a fiery end for the peaceful town of Sandpoint.

Launch a campaign to strike back against the evils plaguing Varisia with the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords - Base Set. This complete cooperative strategy card game pits 1 to 4 heroes against the traps, monsters, deadly magic, and despicable foes of the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game's award-winning Rise of the Runelords Adventure Path. In this game players take the part of a fantasy character such as a rogue or wizard, each with varying skills and proficiencies that are represented by the cards in their deck. The classic ability scores (Strength, Dexterity, etc.) are assigned with different sized dice. Players can acquire allies, spells, weapons, and other items. The goal is to find and defeat a villain before a certain number of turns pass, with the villain being represented by its own deck of cards complete with challenges and foes that must be overcome. Characters grow stronger after each game, adding unique gear and awesome magic to their decks, and gaining incredible powers, all of which they'll need to challenge greater threats in a complete Pathfinder Adventure Card Game Adventure Path.

The Pathfinder Adventure Card Game is an expandable game, with the first set containing nearly 500 cards. The Rise of the Runelords - Base Set supports 1 to 4 players; a 110-card Character Add-On Deck expands the possible number of players to 5 or 6 and adds more character options for any number of players. The game will be expanded with bimonthly 110-card adventure decks.
Posted by: Diddly, January 28, 2014, 7:41pm; Reply: 14
Dice Tower review of Pathfinder: http://youtu.be/3aHlKfs5vMQ.  It's neat that you can persist your characters from game to game.
Posted by: Diddly, July 7, 2014, 2:52pm; Reply: 15
There's a new Legendary game titled "Villains".  It's a standalone game, or can be combined with the heroes version of Legendary.  Since the games are compatible, they're virtually identical in game mechanics.  The big difference is your HQ is full of villains, and you have to defeat Heroes who are moving through the city.

While is can be fun to play as the bad guys (and some of them have rather cool abilities), this co-operative game loses the concept of teamwork.  Yes, you're still after the same goal, but a LOT of the villain powers involve screwing over your "teammates".
Posted by: Diddly, June 15, 2015, 1:13am; Reply: 16
Memoir '44
2 - 8 Players
I've been curious about this game for a while, but Dice Tower just recently did a review that gave me all the information I needed to add it to my wishlist.  It's a board game depicting various historical battles from World War II, where one player controls Allied forces and the other controls the Axis.  Instead of "divine" commanders with control and knowledge of the entire board, this game uses random cards to limit the types of commands you can give at any particular moment.  This takes it from being a game of chess, to trying to succeed with naturally occurring chaos.
There's also dice rolls, but it's not a battle of "who can roll highest".  It's just the attacking player that rolls, to see what effect the attack had.  It could force the units to retreat, or take them out completely.  Special orders effect the result, as these dice don't have numbers, but pictures of the units, grenades, flags, or stars.  For example, a normal attack on a unit of infantry, every die that shows an infantry or grenade kills a member of that unit.  For every flag shown, the unit must retreat that many hexes to their own side of the board.
Each battle has a history, its own set up, and conditions for victory.  I'm sad it's only a two player game, but I know I'd enjoy kicking Hawkeye's butt (for example).

[update] now that I got it, I see it's for up to 8 players!  Nice!
Posted by: Hawkeye, July 13, 2015, 12:32pm; Reply: 17
Diddly!

I'm very surprised, pleasantly so, that you'd be interested in this game. You may recall that I asked if you bozos were interested in playing https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/146439/battlelore-second-edition, which is the same mechanics as Memoir'44 (made by the same guy Richard Borg - resistance being futile and all).
Posted by: Diddly, July 13, 2015, 1:33pm; Reply: 18
Wow that is very similar!  Sorry I don't recall you specifically mentioning Battlelore, but I kind of like the theme of Memoir '44 better for a game that's strictly battle re-enactments anyway.  I feel the historical impact adds weight to a game that's otherwise the same.
Posted by: Diddly, October 26, 2015, 4:59pm; Reply: 19
Merchants and Marauders
2-4 Players
This is essentially the game I was trying to build with my Pirate decks.  Much better design and now I'm keen on playing it.
Posted by: Diddly, January 2, 2016, 2:52pm; Reply: 20
Champions of Midgard
2-4 Players
Like Lords of Waterdeep, but instead of wooden cubes you collect dice that represent different warriors (Swordsman, Axeman, Spearman).  Allocate those warriors to different battles and roll them to see who lives and who dies.
Posted by: Diddly, June 12, 2016, 3:47pm; Reply: 21
Moved the list of owned board games to another thread, just to keep what we have and don't have separate.
Posted by: Diddly, September 11, 2016, 4:16pm; Reply: 22
Age of War
2-6 Players
Quick dice rolling game of conquest.  Think Yahtzee but you're competing to be first to complete combos.  Very highly rated on Boardgamegeek and Dice Tower

Bang! The Dice Game - Old Saloon
3-8 Players
An expansion for Bang! The Dice Game which is actually 5 independent expansions!  Includes new characters and roles, and even a ghost option for the first player eliminated
Print page generated: May 5, 2024, 4:23pm