News: Link to old message forum

Author Topic: Server restarts  (Read 5353 times)

butterfly_collector

• View Profile
Server restarts
« on: September 14, 2021, 02:12:07 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Hi,

I noticed a few days ago that the server was down for a while ... and after I logged in all areas were unrevealed, as if I have never been there. Had the server crashed ?
    Either way, with time a small memory leak may become a huge memory leak, plus all those areas and instances of loaded objects may overload it with time. Plus sometimes I quest in the underdark and the drow I kill don't really revive in some areas.

I guess it is a better idea to setup some kind of automatic restarts ? Like, every few days or @ 24:00 each day or something ... if possible ?

diddly

• Fight apathy... or don't
      • View Profile
    Re: Server restarts
    « Reply #1 on: September 14, 2021, 02:49:57 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • From time to time I do need to reboot the server to apply OS updates, but that usually only takes a few minutes.  If the game is down, but the website is up, then we know NWN crashed (it's on the same machine).  It's configured to restart the game if it crashes.

When running natively, there's a way to regularly save the instance and reload the state on startup, but this one is running in a docker container.  I've not been able to get the reload part working in docker, hence things get reset any time the game crashes or we reboot.

butterfly_collector

• View Profile
    Re: Server restarts
    « Reply #2 on: September 15, 2021, 01:21:09 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Can this be fixed ? Some areas are like a labyrinth in plain sight ... like taer or the underdark (incl. velkynche'l) ... or pretty much anything. Often I wonder how to get from one place to another and without the map signs I have to explore the maps again and again.

May be there is a way to remember each character's variables (or whatever it is) without saving the entire module state ?

I'm just guessing here, but wasn't Rhun the "Persistent world of Rhun" with some kind of a database attached to it ?

Also, any chance of banks for items / money to work ?