News: Link to old message forum

Author Topic: Do we need a counter-conspiracy?  (Read 5175 times)

diddly

• Fight apathy... or don't
    • View Profile
Do we need a counter-conspiracy?
« on: August 31, 2021, 10:17:14 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • We're fighting a losing battle, and I'm baffled.  It seems there's a certain percentage of the population that is really adamant against science and fact but zealous to support demonstrably false fictions.  Before the internet this would be things like the moon landing being faked, but now we even have flat earthers proliferating.

The issue du jour is this rampant uptake of ivermectin as a covid cure:
    Right-wing pundits and politicians have lent their support to the use of ivermectin, and an extensive NBC News investigation published on Aug. 26 found that its use was being promoted by America’s Frontline Doctors, a group of conspiracy theorists behind a viral PR stunt claiming the anti-malarial drug hydroxychloroquine as a similar miracle cure. The group’s members have dubious credentials, including Dr. Stella Immanuel, a Texas pediatrician and minister who has previously claimed that gynecological issues are caused by dream sex with demons and that the government is partially run by reptilian aliens.
    https://gizmodo.com/judge-orders-hospital-to-give-severely-ill-covid-19-pat-1847586545

To these people, it's more plausible that governments, health care organizations, and big pharma are conspiring to push useless (or harmful) vaccines while suppressing viable remedies that could cure covid.

Perhaps what we need is a counter-conspiracy.  Something dumb enough the bleach drinkers can buy.

CarnivorousApe

• View Profile
    Re: Do we need a counter-conspiracy?
    « Reply #1 on: September 01, 2021, 08:40:28 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I had a counter conspiracy for wearing my mask when the anti-maskers were in full tilt. I told them that we're constantly being monitored by the government as is and facial recognition software is only 20% effective if you're covering half your face and I like to keep my anonymity. Surprisingly it's worked a couple times.