Darkshade Forum    General Boards    General Discussion  ›  Niko Niko opens
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

Niko Niko opens  This thread currently has 1 views. Print Print Thread
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Trarman
December 20, 2005, 6:28pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator
Guest User
I just had lunch at the new Japanese restaurant downtown, Niko Niko.  So long Taka!  Niko makes better sushi for half the price!

For $9.95+tax, I got tea, miso soup, 5 pieces of sushi, and a 10 piece rainbow roll!  Yummy!

They have lunch bento's, 2 person specials, and a nice variety of sushi rolls.  I forsee many return visits.
E-mail E-mail
Trarman
January 4, 2006, 3:45pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator
Guest User
Follow up:

Went to Niko Niko again last Friday.  I got the same deal as last time.  The roll of the day was a crunchy crab meat (the roll was crunchy, not the meat )

There was no miso soup this time.  Instead we got some fruit (apples and oranges) cut decoratively for dessert.

Overall it was alright, not spectacular, this time.  And unfortunately, I had one piece of not-so-fresh tuna.  That put a rather unpleasant spin on my meal.

We'll go back in a couple weeks to give them a third try, and that visit will decide if we go back again.
E-mail E-mail Reply: 1 - 43
Hawkeye
February 7, 2006, 8:55pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
I've now had lunch there too and I find it quite nice.  I had a lunch special with the dragon roll, miso, and 5 pieces of sushi.  All very tasty.  The price was quite good too, especially since I didn't pick up the tab.

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 2 - 43
Trarman
February 8, 2006, 6:27pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator
Guest User
Quoted from Hawkeye
I've now had lunch there too and I find it quite nice.  I had a lunch special with the dragon roll, miso, and 5 pieces of sushi.  All very tasty.  The price was quite good too, especially since I didn't pick up the tab.

How was the Tuna?  3 out of 4 times we had unpleasant tuna, but that may be due to going later in the week?  Dunno.  I'm jealous you got the Dragon roll too... we've had crunch roll twice now.

E-mail E-mail Reply: 3 - 43
Hawkeye
February 9, 2006, 8:26pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Maybe sometime next week we can meet for lunch at Niko Niko.   Whaddya think?  Ha ha I got 50 post first ha ha!

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 4 - 43
Shabadu_SMH
February 10, 2006, 1:50pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
What are the prices like at this place guys?
Some time when I'm down I'd like to try it since my exposure to sushi has been limited.  Other than Echo there have only been two other places I went and they were both ok but really expensive.. I wouldn't go back since Echo is just up the street from me and neither one was particularly close (and none offered the all I could eat deal Echo did... so I paid maybe 3/4 of the all I could eat and got 1/4 the amount of food or so).
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 5 - 43
Hawkeye
February 14, 2006, 1:35pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
The prices are pretty reasonable.  However, I only was there for lunch, once.  THeir dinner prices most likely would be a little higher and I don't recall any all you can eat fare on the menu.  Then again, I didn't look very hard.

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 6 - 43
Shabadu_SMH
February 15, 2006, 8:30pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Well if you and Amanda or Chaddington are ever up for dinner there some time when I'm back in town, let me know.  Upon your mutual recommendation, it sounds like it is worthwhile trying out.
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 7 - 43
Hawkeye
February 27, 2006, 12:13pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
So Chiquita, you tried sushi the other day?  Its a first step to enjoying japanese cuisine!

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 8 - 43
Hawkeye
March 14, 2006, 12:59pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Went to Niko Niko again last week.  You know, I don't think I had a bad meal there yet.  My only concern is, well, it is usually empty or one or two other patrons there whenever I go.

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 9 - 43
Trarman
March 14, 2006, 2:00pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator
Guest User
I'll tell ya what place to avoid for sushi: Yummiyaki.  Went there last week for lunch.  All of us who had sushi felt ill in some way later.  I hate to imagine their All-You-Can-Eat sushi!
E-mail E-mail Reply: 10 - 43
Hawkeye
March 14, 2006, 2:20pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
That's too bad for yummiyaki, they have the best tempura in town...  So I'm sure of which one you referring to, its near northfield up by futureshop?

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 11 - 43
Trarman
March 14, 2006, 2:38pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator
Guest User
Yup, that's the one.
E-mail E-mail Reply: 12 - 43
Shabadu_SMH
March 14, 2006, 8:46pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
When a restaurant calls themselves YummiYuki, it should be a sign that some of their food is perhaps a little yummy and theother stuff is maybe a little yucky... seriously there is a place near my apartment here in TO called Yummi's and I've never heard anything good about their food (although when I walk by there is always people in there - it is RIGHT on Yonge, proving location loactation location must work!)
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 13 - 43
Chubs
March 18, 2006, 8:14pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator
Guest User
Shabs, when are you coming to town?  We can go to Niko, I haven't been there yet, and all you others have been multiple times!!!  
E-mail E-mail Reply: 14 - 43
Chubs
March 18, 2006, 8:15pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator
Guest User
Trarman

Oh, I'm a peasant, am I?  I thought I was a baby??  
E-mail E-mail Reply: 15 - 43
Shabadu_SMH
March 19, 2006, 8:55pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Not sure the next time I will be in town, but I'll let you know.
I totally wanna go try Niko Niko.  I will probably be back near the end of the month as Dan and I are going to another wild game dinner some time around then - so once I find out the date I'll let you know.
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 16 - 43
Chiquita
March 20, 2006, 12:13pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Knight
Niko Niko is over rated; selection of variety is limited and atmosphere/service is lacking. Chubs, you have not missed anything...
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 17 - 43
Hawkeye
March 24, 2006, 9:18pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
I agree about the atmosphere, they still have the fresca's of venice on the walls.  And the service is a little slow.  As far as selection i think it is fine.  I have enjoyed the food each time I went.

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 18 - 43
Shabadu_SMH
March 27, 2006, 4:34pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Hey Chubs - I'm probably gonna be back in KW next weekend - wanna grab some Niko Niko for dinner?  Or we could go elsewhere.  Naturally Hawkeye would come along I assume.

And Diddley (or The Admiral or Minotaur-face or Trarman.. you have too many names for an Evil Floating Head) and Chiquitta whether we go to Niko or elsewhere you are welcome to come along too..  

Let me know if you guys are interested - if not I'll try to make other plans.
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 19 - 43
Hawkeye
March 31, 2006, 4:11pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
i'm interested. are we talking saturday? Trarman interested?

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 20 - 43
Shabadu_SMH
April 3, 2006, 4:04pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
I didn't see this reply until today - I left the office early to get my car worked on in KW on Friday... but yes it was for this past Saturday.  Glad you were interested

I liked the food, it was tasty but more expensive than Echo for sure!
I have to find out the name of the other sushi place here in TO and we can try it.
It has been recommended as having an even better buffet than Echo.  I have a hard time imagining what would make it better but now I've had 2 people both tell me of the same place being better.. I just can't remember the name of the place is all.  So if you are interested, let me know and I'll look into the name of the place and we can all try it.
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 21 - 43
Hawkeye
April 3, 2006, 5:01pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Where is it in TO?

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 22 - 43
Shabadu_SMH
April 5, 2006, 11:27am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
It is in the downtown area.. I beleive it is in little Italy, but I'm not entirely sure the exact location.  We talked food more than location and it was over a month ago.  If I see the guy I was talking to I'll ask him again and get more details.
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 23 - 43
Shabadu_SMH
April 5, 2006, 12:21pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Wow - talk about coincidence, I ran into the guy at work this morning who told me about this sushi place.. it is called Sushi Island and it IS in little Italty which is in the College West area.
He lives up near me and loves Echo Sushi and thinks that Sushi Island is about the same but just that little bit more.  I didn't get to find out what makes it a little bit more as that was when the elevator doors opened and I had to exit onto my floor.  But next time your in town and feel like sushi we could try Sushi Island if you want for all you can eat fishy yumminess!

(Oh my 100th message!  Finally outgrowing my Jester-hood!)
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 24 - 43
Hawkeye
April 5, 2006, 5:04pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Ahh sushi in the heart of little italy.  If it is not too far from your place I guess we could try it sometime.

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 25 - 43
Shabadu_SMH
April 6, 2006, 12:00am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
It isn't too far by car but that would be one hell of a walk.. I'd recommend we either sub or cab it.. or try driving and risk parking rates that can go as high as $20+ down town.
It's up to you guys whether you want to try it or not... I might or might not, I know I love my Echo Sushi and feel it is good value but then I'm always willing to try something new (well always always).
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 26 - 43
Chiquita
April 11, 2006, 10:31pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Knight
If you are interested in other Sushi Restaurant in TO, the following restaurants were rated very highly by 2005 TOLEDAM:

Hashimoto, 6435 Dixie Rd. (at Courtney Dr. E.), 905-670-5559

Hiro Sushi, 171 King St. E. (at Jarvis), 416-304-0550

Sushi Kaji, 860 Queensway, 416-252-2166

Takesushi, 22 Front St. W. (at Yonge), 416-862-1891

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 27 - 43
Hawkeye
April 12, 2006, 12:36pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Had a little research project going did we?

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 28 - 43
Hawkeye
April 20, 2006, 2:24pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Hey Trarman,

what day next week do you want to go to niko niko for lunch.  My lunch is from 12 to 1 normally, though i can sneek out a little earlier..

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 29 - 43
Shabadu_SMH
April 20, 2006, 3:12pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
I've found a place that does fresh pre-packaged sushi nearby (I say fresh because they make it there in the morning at least..).. they are more like a "fast food" sushi place and are not where as good as either Niko or Echo, but in a pinch makes for tasty and realtively cheap lunch.  And by far healthier than eating at McD's or Harvey's.
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 30 - 43
Hawkeye
April 21, 2006, 3:31pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
The quick sushi place in KW would be Mr Sushi and it is good, quick and cheap.  But Trarman, Ichiban got rave reviews in the Record.

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 31 - 43
Trarman
April 21, 2006, 5:39pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator
Guest User
I've never had anything but california rolls at Ichiban.  Yummyaki is the place I'll never eat sushi at again.
E-mail E-mail Reply: 32 - 43
Hawkeye
April 21, 2006, 7:31pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Ichiban also has the best gyoza, or potstickers, or dumplings.  

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 33 - 43
Trarman
April 21, 2006, 8:23pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator
Guest User
Their Tempura is pretty good too.  I liked getting the combo there at lunch, although it tended to gross out my coworkers (sheesh).  I still don't know what those brown translucent noodles were though.
E-mail E-mail Reply: 34 - 43
Hawkeye
April 22, 2006, 8:15pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
semen.

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 35 - 43
Shabadu_SMH
April 25, 2006, 2:39am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Mmmmm. part of any good and healthy sushi menu I suppose.
Went to Echo on Saturday with Kyle and MB - sooo good.  Again I was a little foolish in that I ate some peanuts and chips beforehand but (sigh) I recently have taken it upon myself NOT to eat all I can to satisfy my financial requirements.  Sigh, it is a frustrating and difficult thing to NOT stuff myself to the point of satiation (and then some) but I did it.. I walked away from a buffet NOT so full I could barely move.  It felt sooo wrong, but I did it.  I wasn't left TOO hungry, but I easily could have packed away another dozen pieces at any rate
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 36 - 43
Hawkeye
April 25, 2006, 5:02pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
You really disappoint me Shabadu! (the eating before the meal aspect)  But I try to leave a table not bloated but comfortably full.  Sometimes though, that is hard depending on the food.

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 37 - 43
Shabadu_SMH
April 27, 2006, 3:09pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Yah well if my goal was still all I could eat, I too would be disappointed in myself.
I snacked beforehand because I was really hungry and we had no idea what time MB would want to go for dinner - but regardless, I still feel I got my value's worth.
I ain't the teenage punk who needs to eat a place outta food, condiments and plastic silver ware that I once was.

Part of my current weight loss has been recognizing that I have a wee bit of an eating disorder in that I overeat ALL the time, so not cleaning my plate sometimes is actually a step in the right direction for me!
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 38 - 43
Hawkeye
April 27, 2006, 5:02pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
True, counting on MB and Kyle to be on time one could possibly starve to death.

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 39 - 43
Shabadu_SMH
April 27, 2006, 8:55pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Heh.. well we WERE late for the Jays game that afternoon - but MB made good time catching back up with us for dinner.
I'd say Gimper is the worst one for timing...
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 40 - 43
Hawkeye
May 2, 2006, 6:30pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Well, he wears it like a badge... a leather badge over his mouth.

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 41 - 43
Shabadu_SMH
May 3, 2006, 5:30pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
A leather badge over his mouth with a zipper in it?
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 42 - 43
Hawkeye
June 22, 2006, 10:46am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
The other month Chubbs and I went to London and while there we went to a sushi place.  The price was about %10 to %15 more than Niko Niko and the food was not quite so good.  

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 43 - 43
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print Print Thread

Darkshade Forum    General Boards    General Discussion  ›  Niko Niko opens