Darkshade Forum    General Boards    General Discussion  ›  Movies
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

Movies  This thread currently has 1 views. Print Print Thread
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Hawkeye
April 4, 2006, 8:07pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Apparently, this summer is supposed to be big with regard to new releases.  MI3, Davinci Code, seem interesting.  Any other hot releases that people are looking forward to see this summer?

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message
Trarman
April 4, 2006, 9:02pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator
Guest User
Lucky Number Sleven looks interesting
E-mail E-mail Reply: 1 - 42
Shabadu_SMH
April 5, 2006, 11:32am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
I agree, Lucky Number Sleven does look good... MI3 is supposed to be good but then again Tom Cruise has lost a LOT of credit what with his stupidity in the last year or so - I'm guessing if it tanks his career is over.  The commercials in theatre made it look pretty cool, but we'll see if that is enough to bring people past his moronic actions..
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 2 - 42
Hawkeye
April 5, 2006, 12:05pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Sleven does look good, i'd forgotten about that one.  MI3 will be good, as long as there are not waltzing motorcycles like the last one.  That was just lame!

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 3 - 42
Shabadu_SMH
April 5, 2006, 11:58pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Yes well what would you expect from John Woo?  I thought MI2 felt very comic-bookish, which is what I went in expecting so it wasn't surprised when it was.  It was far from brilliant and I agree the motorcycle stunt ws lame (hell the whole motorcycle chase was lame) but again it is what I expected from John Woo.

I beleive X-men: The Last Showdown is due out this summer and the preview I saw for it made it look really good.  Bryan Singer, the director of the first two X-men movies was involved in filming the new Superman movie so instead of helping write and directing X3 he had to pass because the studios forced the movie to be done now.  But to the credit of X3 the director from Layer Cake is on the job and I think he did a great job with that (and no Layer Cake was not directed by Madonna's wife Guy Ritchie like rumour has it.. he was involved in some production work I think but he isn't the director).

And I'm not sure when it is due out (in 2007 I hear) but Joss Whedon is working on Wonder Woman... women in line for the lead include Sarah Michelle Gellar and Charisma Carpenter (Buffy and Cordellia from Buffy the Vamp Slayer) but also Katie Holmes and J Lo too.. there is a slew of names in the list at this point in time...
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 4 - 42
Hawkeye
April 12, 2006, 12:45pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Oh yeah that Little pirate movie... i'd forgotten about that.

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 5 - 42
Shabadu_SMH
April 12, 2006, 3:02pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Are you guys available this weekend to catch Lucky Number Sleven?
I have dinner plans on Friday night but Saturday I'm available, lemme know what your schedule is like if you wanna catch Sleven.

And good call Chiq, I also had forgotten about Dead Man's Chest - it looks like it will be good.
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 6 - 42
Hawkeye
April 13, 2006, 8:01pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
At this point in time Chubbs and I are free on saturday, but not to go to the movie.

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 7 - 42
Shabadu_SMH
April 17, 2006, 2:24am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Okay well since we didn't get to see Lucky Number Sleven, check out this movie instead.  Consider it my Easter good (or bad) wishes to all of you!  Hoppy Easter everyone!

http://www.wimp.com/easter/
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 8 - 42
Hawkeye
April 17, 2006, 12:56pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Any movies you guys think will be lame this year?

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 9 - 42
Shabadu_SMH
April 17, 2006, 2:14pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
I've heard mixed reviews about the DaVinci Code, that it is merely riding the mutual coat-tails of a) the book's success and b) Tom Hanks.. that the script was put together sloppy and would not live up to the expectations (of course that WAS from a car magazine so who's to say the author knows movies that are NOT about cars).

Speaking of car movies, Fast and Furious 3 is due out.  Saw a trailer for it.. oh my god did it look bad.  I saw the first one on DVD.. it was ok, maybe it would have been better if I were more of a car person.  I saw parts of number two were they got the blond guy to return but Vin Diesel turned down the offer because it wasn't asomething he was interested in doing (instead he made that baby-sitter for the president (or some politician's kids) movie - great choice there Vin).  Althought from the moments of the second Fast and Furious that I saw perhaps the kids movie WAS the better choice... anyhow the 3rd version of this movie takes place in Japan and while some of the action sequences looked pretty cool on the big screen, they were not able to retain any of the original actors/actresses and the writing didn't seem to be up to the (already sub-par) level of the orginal.  

So keep your eyes and ears open for this one - I'm sure it will bomb in theatres!
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 10 - 42
Hawkeye
April 17, 2006, 7:03pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
What about Scary Movie 4?  Are they beating the heck out of that dead horse or what?

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 11 - 42
Trarman
April 17, 2006, 7:10pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator
Guest User
But of course, if the movies don't make huge profits, then it couldn't actually be because they're BAD... no, it was the nasty evil Pirates making camcorder versions and posting them on the internets.
E-mail E-mail Reply: 12 - 42
Shabadu_SMH
April 18, 2006, 1:49pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Yah every time I see that stupid commercial before a movie that has the stuntman who is getting ripped off by piracy I think to myself "hey stupid, why are you part of a system that puts YOUR life at risk for $50/hour when the schlub you are standing in for is getting paid $20million?"  Come on, how sorry am I supposed to feel for a guy who decided he would make a career outta crashing cars?  I'm not saying it doesn't take some talent nor that I want stunts to look like crap in movie, I'm just saying you made the choice to be in that career.

As for Scary Movie 4, I'll probably see it when it comes out on video, nothing like a good laugh... well with that movie it will likely be a bad laugh if there are any laughs, but I like the girl in that movie that plays Cindy (the one who was the "American rock-star" in Lost in Translation..) so at least there is something worth my while if the humour and script sucks
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 13 - 42
Trarman
April 18, 2006, 2:40pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator
Guest User
Is she the same one from Scary Movie 3 as well?  (I assume it was 3, not sure though.. the one that parodies The Ring and Circles)
E-mail E-mail Reply: 14 - 42
Shabadu_SMH
April 18, 2006, 3:48pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Yes she is.  She has been the main character is all of them.. I just think she is cute (and she really isn't as ditzy as she acts in the movie, I've seen her in lots of stuff and a number of interviews... not that I mind a hot, ditzy blond mind you

Speaking of movies, I'm pasting in an entry I read online about the lead-in blockbusters for this summer.  We discussed some of these but I thought Hakweye especially might be interested in "Poseidon" because it is directed by the guy who did Das Boot.

This year's summer lead-ins: Mission: Impossible III, pitting Tom Cruise against supervillain Philip Seymour Hoffman; Poseidon, a remake of The Poseidon Adventure directed by Hollywood's king of the sea, Wolfgang Petersen (The Perfect Storm, Das Boot); the animated Over the Hedge, an animals-against-humans comedy from the makers of Shrek; and The Da Vinci Code, reuniting Tom Hanks with director Ron Howard.

If ya wanted to read the rest of the article, I got it off canoe.ca here: http://jam.canoe.ca/Movies/2006/04/17/1537923-ap.html

The article is prety long and outlines every movie due out in the next couple months.
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 15 - 42
Hawkeye
April 20, 2006, 12:21pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
I think I'd like to see a movie version of Happy Days, except the Fonze is a crack addicted pimp.  You know, a modernized version, except still set in the 50's.

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 16 - 42
Shabadu_SMH
April 20, 2006, 3:19pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Heh heh.. well you know that Welcome Back Kotter is coming to the big screen in 2007, right?  And MR Travolta will be playing a mjor role (my guess would be the teacher because he made a bad and barely beleiveable student the first time around, I can only imagine him in the same role this time around...)

Maybe he can play a crack-addicted pimp sent forward in time (from the 50's) named Arthur Schmidt-Fonzerlli??
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 17 - 42
Hawkeye
April 21, 2006, 3:30pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Welcome back Kotter is such a lame idea for a movie.  I'd reather see a movie version of Three's Company staring Brad Pitt, Janet Reno and Queen Elizabeth!

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 18 - 42
Shabadu_SMH
April 23, 2006, 2:18pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Why Brab Pitt, I think Gilbert Godfrey as JAck, Janet, Mr Roper AND Larry would make for a better movie.. and naturally Britney Spears as Chrissy.  Now THERE is a good cast!
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 19 - 42
Trarman
April 24, 2006, 1:45am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator
Guest User
Oh, I don't know if it was mentioned, but the movie I'm most looking forward to is the next X-Men movie.  Saw a trailer recently and it looked phenomenal.
E-mail E-mail Reply: 20 - 42
Shabadu_SMH
April 25, 2006, 2:35am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Yah I agree.. it looks really relly good.  Other than seeing Sleven with you and your other half, we should catch that one too.  So when do you think we can catch Sleven?  Or do you own it yet?
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 21 - 42
Hawkeye
August 14, 2006, 2:15pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Hey Trarman.  You were right the next bond flick is a prequel.  It goes back to when bond first started as an MI5 agent.  Looks violent that Chubbs may like to watch it...

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 22 - 42
Shabadu_SMH
August 15, 2006, 7:26pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Supposedly he is already working with the producers on his next Bond installment, which I find surprising because it is unlike the franchise to release movies more than at least a few years apart.
This movie has been made before supposedly too...
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 23 - 42
Trarman
August 23, 2006, 12:33pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator
Guest User
Have you guys seen the trailer for Crank yet?  What do you think of that one?
E-mail E-mail Reply: 24 - 42
Hawkeye
August 24, 2006, 1:41pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Never heard of it.  Who's in it and what's it about?

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 25 - 42
Trarman
August 25, 2006, 6:16pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator
Guest User
It's that guy from Transporter.  Seems like a good action movie.
E-mail E-mail Reply: 26 - 42
Shabadu_SMH
August 31, 2006, 7:09pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
I think it looks pretty good, as long as you're expecting a high-action, low plotline movie.  The Transporter delivered on that as did #2, although ironically #2 had a better story... as long as you had no great aspirations for where the movie would take you (beyond cool action) it delivered!
I think Crank will be the same...

There is a movie called Run Lola Run that is kinda the same thing, it starts out with a dude calling his girlfriend telling her a drug dealer is gonna kill him in 20 minutes if she can't bring $100,000 to him in that time... made for an interesting movie.. Crank looks similar but dude is gonna die from whatever drug they stuck in him instead of a drug dealer killing him for losing some money.
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 27 - 42
The Lance
September 27, 2006, 2:13pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator
Guest User
Hi anyone here like anime?
E-mail E-mail Reply: 28 - 42
Trarman
September 28, 2006, 1:20pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator
Guest User
Welcome to the message board Lance.  I'm not a big fan of anime myself, but perhaps you could explain what the attraction is?  What would be some good examples to watch that might change my mind?

Don't say Akira, either.  I saw that, and while the animation was pretty impressive, the movie itself fell short of expectations.  I watched Princess Mononoke as well, but was left with generally the same impression.
E-mail E-mail Reply: 29 - 42
The Lance
September 28, 2006, 6:55pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator
Guest User
well the quality of animation is superior to most offerings from n. america.  there is one in particular that i am interested in.  it is usually on saturdays at 11 or mondays at 7 on ytv.  it is called avatar the last airbender.  the interesting thing about this one is that while it is very good animation, clean crisp etc, it is obviously in the anime style but acutally produced in n. america.  (though all the animators appear to have korean names).  most movie anime have unique plot lines, which are different from the norm and that is another reason i like to watch them.
E-mail E-mail Reply: 30 - 42
Shabadu_SMH
October 22, 2006, 8:07pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
I've seen the Avatar cartoon (on Saturday morning at 11:00am on YTV I think).. the story line is better than the few anime movies I've seen... the animation doesn't seem to anything especially good or bad, but the story is involving enough.  If you're interested in the series I beleive Rogers actually RENTS the entire first season on DVD..
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 31 - 42
Hawkeye
October 23, 2006, 12:19pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
I've seen the first season for download on the net.  I enjoy the show as well.  

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 32 - 42
Hawkeye
January 8, 2007, 9:32pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Indiana Jones 4...

I really hope it is a good movie, I wouldn't want the last movie of that series to blow chunks!  That being said, if they do it so that it is age appropriate it should be good.  By age appropriate I mean two things, first that the character is older and therefore the script and scenes are reflective of the characters older age, and second, that they don't try to dumb it down like a certain other lucas series! and that it is more for an adult audience...

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 33 - 42
Trarman
January 8, 2007, 10:28pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator
Guest User
Quoted from Hawkeye
Indiana Jones 4...

I really hope it is a good movie, I wouldn't want the last movie of that series to blow chunks!  That being said, if they do it so that it is age appropriate it should be good.  By age appropriate I mean two things, first that the character is older and therefore the script and scenes are reflective of the characters older age, and second, that they don't try to dumb it down like a certain other lucas series! and that it is more for an adult audience...

Look forward to the lost hobbit race of homo florian to appear, complete with cute little furry bodies and their own little language that sounds very ewok-ish.  Indy found a map to the only place on earth these cuddly little people live, but a secret evil nazi coven wants it for the solid gold magma rumoured to be in the volcano on their island.

Indy is captured while attending an extreme sports conference and single-handedly fights the entire secret nazi army.  He steals back his map from a cryogenically frozen clone of Hitler and rushes off to bring civilization to the homo florians.  Only, to his surprise, dinosaurs ALSO still survive on this island, so Indy ends up fleeing from t-rex after t-rex.  A helpful little florian named Mar Mar Jinx helps him hide in a fantastic underwater world created by the primative florians.

Oh, and Short-Round is back, having never aged and still ready with cute kid comments for every situation.

E-mail E-mail Reply: 34 - 42
Hawkeye
January 9, 2007, 1:57pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
That's quite the load of drivel you've concocted.  "Meesa so happy Mar Mar is in it!" Coven eh, I always thought there was a link between witches, wicca and nazis!

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 35 - 42
Hawkeye
March 6, 2007, 1:33pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
I watched 'Flags of Our Fathers'  the other week.  It was good.  It depicted the three surviving soldiers who raised the flag on Mt Suribachi during the battle for Iwo Jima.  Canadian Adam Beach played the native american Ira Hayes.  They were sent on a PR tour of the states while their buddies died fighting in Okinawa.  Interesting movie.  It was directed by Clint Eastwood.

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 36 - 42
Shabadu_SMH
March 7, 2007, 10:06pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Hmm, I heard Flags of Our Fathers was good.. even though everyone else thinks Clint is a good director, I think he is only a mediocre one.. none of his movies have really wowed me.. but then I really did not like Million Dollar Baby.

On another note, going back a few messages, if you guys are still waching Avatar, season two just started up a couple weeks ago on YTV on Saturday mornings... looks pretty good!  I've only seen one or two episodes and clearly missed the first one, but it looks good!
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 37 - 42
Diddly
March 7, 2007, 10:32pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
I tried the Avatar game for the PSP.   Wow that sucked.  Among the worst games I've played... ever.

Currently Reading:Next in Queue:
When Heavens CollideRed Mars - Kim Stanley Robinson
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 38 - 42
Hawkeye
March 8, 2007, 9:21pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
RE: Clint as director

Shab's you didn't like Unforgiven?  I think that is a great movie.  I also want to see Letters from Iwo Jima, which shows the Japanese side of the battle.

RE: Avatar

Actually, the 2nd season was on hiatus and is now back..

RE: Avatar the game

I wouldn't think it would translate well into a game, at least not an action game.  Perhaps a roleplaying game would work.

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 39 - 42
Shabadu_SMH
March 10, 2007, 12:21am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
RE: Clint as director

Mmm.. I thought Unforgiven was alright... I guess I'm not the biggest cowboy movie fan.. overall it was one of the better ones I can think of.. I heard Iwo Jima is supposed to be good... I'm sure I'll see it some day once day buys it

RE: Avatar

Yah I don't know much about much on TV since I don't have cable but the couple eiposdes I saw made me wish I did.. I'd consider renting the season if Rogers has it across the street (they currently have season 1).

RE: Avatar the game

Wow.. worst game ever, huh?  I actually thought it might make for a good game, you could play whatever elemental bender you chose.. or if they DID set it up as an RPG you could be the Avatar with developing skills and you could gain allies with other bender abilities that you could control and develop their skills.. anyhoo, i would think it would have good legs if someone invested the effort into the game and story...
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 40 - 42
Shabadu_SMH
March 11, 2007, 9:15pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Hey guys.. check out this movie..

http://imdb.com/title/tt0446666/

It has the oddest name ever: Chad Schmidt... apparently if you cross genes with someone named Chad and someone with the last name Schmidt, you get Brad Pitt... ?
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 41 - 42
Hawkeye
March 14, 2007, 8:44pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
I really don't think I want to venture too deeply into this discussion.  I can see it deteriorate rather quickly.

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 42 - 42
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print Print Thread

Darkshade Forum    General Boards    General Discussion  ›  Movies