Darkshade Forum    General Boards    General Discussion  ›  Zombie Slaughter
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

Zombie Slaughter  This thread currently has 1 views. Print Print Thread
8 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 » All Recommend Thread
Diddly
April 20, 2009, 4:28pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Found another bug.  The "mute" setting isn't checked when Zombies devour civilians.  So you'll quietly be playing when all of a sudden a Zombie gets thru your defenses and blood curdling screams start blasting out your speakers.. at work.  

Currently Reading:Next in Queue:
When Heavens CollideRed Mars - Kim Stanley Robinson
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 15 - 113
Diddly
April 21, 2009, 2:42pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Zombie Test #6.  Graphics have been changed to ones that I could find with multiple types of soldier unit.  Unfortunately these ones don't rotate.  All I'll be able to do (which I'm not doing yet) is flip them to face the opposite direction when Zombies get past them.

So now I've included a bunch of different units.  (My fav is the Flame Thrower!)  Bazooka unit still needs work, as he's supposed to have a huge area of damage when those shells explode.  So I wouldn't recommend spending money on him yet.

Barriers currently all behave the same, so don't expect any benefit from buying Brick Wall vs Boxes.

Zombies actually run from fire!  Eventually they'll build up the courage to have another go at it though.

Fixed the non-mutable civilian screams.  But Flame Thrower and Bazooka need updated sound effects.

Let me know if you find any other problems.

Attachment: zombietest6_9065.jpg
Size: 82.08 KB

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 16 - 113
Hawkeye
April 22, 2009, 12:52pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Your scoring needs work.  As I was at 3 Billion points, then sudden jumped back to 800,000,000!  What a rip off! .

I've found your men shoot from their mouths not from the end of their guns.

For bazooka I had no problems, but there shouldn't be a delay for the explosion.

Other than that I enjoyed playing it.  At one time during the unbeleivable level I had lost all my heros and suddenly the zombies broke through.  I un-muted as all 100 of my people were eaten... made for quite a stiring symphony.

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 17 - 113
Diddly
April 22, 2009, 1:14pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Shooting from their mouths is visually unappealing, yes.  That can be fixed.

Interesting about the Bazooka:  You don't like the explosion delay, but Shabadu does.

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 18 - 113
Hawkeye
April 22, 2009, 3:16pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Unless you were going for projectile vomit bullets, yeah out of the gun would be cooler.

Also are you looking to change the size, looks of the zombies.. so that people visually can see that the tougher zombies are coming

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 19 - 113
Diddly
April 22, 2009, 3:57pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
The intent is to have multiple different types of enemies, not just the same old Zombie character every round (as satisfying as mowing them down with a line of machine guns is).  It's just the only enemy graphic I've found useful off the web thus far.  Plus, I'm still working on game mechanics, so I'd rather get everything right for the Zombie first.  (Rather than loading up on different enemy types and having to go and adjust every one of them for each change)

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 20 - 113
Shabadu_SMH
April 23, 2009, 2:49am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
I think you're aware already that heroes respawn each night.. but often after they die the zombies do al ittle dance.. eat a little flesh and stay on the spot where your hero was last seen alive, essentially freezing the game because the wave never ends.. most frustrating as the only solution is to restart the whole thing!

Also, I'm thinking you may need to tweak the reward for killing zombies... I felt before you got waaay too much, but now I think you get a little too little.  Or perhaps your cheapest hero should just be cheaper?  
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 21 - 113
Shabadu_SMH
April 23, 2009, 2:57am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Oh also.. bullets should not be slower than zombies.. too many times my bullets are chasing zombies who have already passed my hero while others chew him to death.. and the bullets cannot catch zombies once they have passed the hero.. it that is the case then heroes shouldn't shoot backwards.. or more aptly their bullets should be able to strike the zombies so their deaths are not COMPLETELY in vain...
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 22 - 113
Diddly
April 23, 2009, 10:03pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Fixed forever Zombie dancing on Hero graves.
Fixed Heroes respawning next level if they die.
Fixed barrier behaviour.  Now only Walls block.  Others slow to various degrees.
A couple other behind the scenes changes (for when we get more enemies than just Zombies)
It also seems a heck of a lot tougher now!

Attachment: zombie0r11_3746.jpg
Size: 90.76 KB

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 23 - 113
Diddly
April 26, 2009, 2:39am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
There will be another version on Sunday, I'm sure.  But for tonight, I have a few surprises beyond the "Unbelievable" level.  This may be your best opportunity to see it before I balance the game again and make it harder.
Tomorrows changes will involve performance.  I've recently added animation to all the enemies, however it really drags the FPS down while loading new sprites.  I think I know how to fix that though.  Hence the version coming tomorrow.

Attachment: picture_2_6342.png
Size: 505.93 KB

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 24 - 113
Diddly
April 27, 2009, 3:21pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
As expected, I posted a new version of the Zombie game late Sunday night.  We're at revision 19 now.
It's balanced to make it somewhat easier to make it to the end, but not to get past that.  (I'm sure someone will find a way, but I haven't yet).  The animation doesn't slow down the game any more, and the final characters do shoot back.
If you haven't tried it yet, you should!

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 25 - 113
Diddly
April 27, 2009, 4:49pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Shabadu wanted me to post his screenshot of acheivement.  I'm impressed with how well he did, but the level still has yet to be beat.

Attachment: bestsofar_6988.jpg
Size: 80.10 KB

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 26 - 113
Hawkeye
April 27, 2009, 8:47pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
You still need to change things so that heros will target enemies closest to them, or are actively gnawing on their necks.

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 27 - 113
Diddly
April 28, 2009, 2:07am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Noble
Targeting will be a tougher one to fix, but I agree, it should be done.  Including "predicting" where the Zombie will be by the time the bullet gets there.
Tonight was just a quick change.  A coworker found that a lot of flamethrowers will slow the game to a crawl, so I've fixed that.  I've also added a new unit for you to aspire to acquire.  Basically you'll have to get through the game before you can afford one (which can be done!).
Added some more sounds.  I felt cat deaths really require some kitty squeals.  

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 28 - 113
Chiquita
April 28, 2009, 3:25am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Knight
Only 7 dead and I got a tank! -what can you wee boys do?

Attachment: tankgirl_7543.jpg
Size: 92.41 KB

Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 29 - 113
8 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 » All Recommend Thread
Print Print Thread

Darkshade Forum    General Boards    General Discussion  ›  Zombie Slaughter